Is Driver Flex Something to Worry about?
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iemmustiane

100+ Head-Fier
My left driver on my Zero Audio Carbo Tenores has slight driver flex. Does driver flex end up killing the driver over time? I'm not really annoyed by the driver flex just worried about how it'll affect the life of my Tenores.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Ditto that with my new CA Atlas

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 11
And the same with my IMR-R1. Spoke to their designer and was told not to worry about it. Since then I try not to :)

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 11
By driver flex do you guys mean by hearing a "creaking" sound coming from inside the drivers when you put it on?

I happen to experience this on one of my IEMs...

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 11
The flex itself does not damage the diaphragm. But it can get really bad that just moving your head or your jaw is enough to crinkle the diaphragm, which is really annoying.

In other cases, when you push the IEM into your canal you create too much pressure that isn’t relieved by the front end of the driver, and so you “lock” the diaphragm and it doesn’t produce sound properly. It’s pretty obvious when that happens.

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 11
I asked Ken Ball this very question at the London CanJam regarding driver flex with my Vega, he said it’s not a problem and won’t damage them :smile_phones:
Thanks to all!

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 11
It’s just a problem if it gets that extreme that your music won’t play properly anymore and you hear no sound!
Seems to depend on the shape of your ear canals (a vacuum is created) and I had this experience with various dynamic driver earphones...especially Atlas. So unfortunately Atlas is not for me for this reason...
Anybody else here experiencing such extreme driver flex?

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 11
Reach back from the back of your head with one hand to grab the helix of your ear on the opposite side (right hand to left ear's helix and vice versa) and pull it backward slightly, then insert the IEM into the ear canel with the other hand. Once the IEM is in proper depth, release the helix from the opposite hand. This should minimize driver flex.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 11
It’s just a problem if it gets that extreme that your music won’t play properly anymore and you hear no sound!
Seems to depend on the shape of your ear canals (a vacuum is created) and I had this experience with various dynamic driver earphones...especially Atlas. So unfortunately Atlas is not for me for this reason...
Anybody else here experiencing such extreme driver flex?

Yes, I have just bought the Atlas and it’s really annoying. It only happens with the Final Audio tips that come with Atlas and not the marshmallow tips. Unfortunately, I vastly prefer the FA tips. The marshmallows accentuate the bass so much that it overwhelms the whole sound. Apart from the “lifting the ear” advice, any other tips? I love the Atlas in every other way, but this could be a deal breaker. The sound in one ear just disappears if I try to re-position the earphone if it’s slightly moved, especially in my left ear. Never had this with any other earphone over many years.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Yes, Soundmagic E10. Happens every time they are inserted. Then, I know somethings wrong when the volume goes down or the sound disappears altogether. I then have to reposition or reseat them, and that usually fixes them.

But it doesn’t happen with any of my other In-Ears. I also own the E11, and have not had the issue with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back