Is drilling or dremel my only choice?
Mar 16, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #16 of 22
The one hole punch made holes exactly big enough for the power, led, and audio jacks:

kitty2.jpg

I found once you press down and it cuts into the metal a bit, just spin the tin around and the rest will get cut and you are left with a very clean hole.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #17 of 22
Anyway, I went out today and got the single hole puncher and it works like a charm. Except that I've got a 4.0mm diameter which is less than ideal, which means I need to expand the hole. But ALL is GREAT.

Did I mention that it is cheap?

Phobus: Your tip works WONDER, it is so much easier now. Besides the local store here sells those hello kitty tin cans. Guess what will be my nexdt CMOY look like.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Anyway, I went out today and got the single hole puncher and it works like a charm. Except that I've got a 4.0mm diameter which is less than ideal, which means I need to expand the hole. But ALL is GREAT.

Before I use the one-hole-punch, I usually use masking tape to cover the area being worked on. Then I will draw the actual size of the hole if it is bigger than the punch hole. With the drawing as a guide, I make many little nibbles of the tin with the punch to approximate the larger round hole. And it works! The masking tape allows you to pencil in any guide marks you need and also prevents scratches to the paintwork while punching.

Regards

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 22
Hello Heady

<---username

Anyways, the drawback of a single hole punch is that the size is fixed for that puncher. Then I saw the hole punch for leather belts. They've got adjustable hole diameter, and have longer arms (uses less human force). May be worth a try in the future.

Anyone actually using the belt punch?/

EDIT: Oh yea, the masking tape may be a brilliant idea too.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
Hello Heady

<---username

Anyways, the drawback of a single hole punch is that the size is fixed for that puncher. Then I saw the hole punch for leather belts. They've got adjustable hole diameter, and have longer arms (uses less human force). May be worth a try in the future.

Anyone actually using the belt punch?/

EDIT: Oh yea, the masking tape may be a brilliant idea too.
biggrin.gif

Hi MDRex,

What does this mean? I don't understand this line.
<---username

Re: leather punch, yes, I have thought about this but I doubt if it will work with metal. It requires the material being cut to be compressible. It uses a punch and an anvil unlike the single-hole-punch for paper.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back