Is "Cryo' ED 78K" England treatment really makes a difference on CD , cables etc?
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

happy hopping

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.mshdpower.com/78k_eng.html

https://www.spill.hk/audiovisual/78k-ultimate-the-one-hdmi-fiber-cable/

https://aerecordshk.com/Gloria-歌莉雅-Simply-Love-78K-英國冷凍處理-SACD

Essentially translated in English, they are saying

"Cryo'ed in England"

Make the crystal of the material change again, the density is more accurate,
More stable, three-dimensional sound,
Increased detail and dynamic range

and they are saying this improves CD and HMDI cables quality / performance. I never heard of this.

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 10
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 10
that article is old. Is the technology from that UK co. the same as that japanese co. back in 1990?

and why now? I just saw a bunch of newly release CD that has that "Cryoed in England" blue sticker.

but having said that, that article did say there is a difference back in 1990

But today technology such as K2HD or XRCD, could they have been better w/o the freezing part better than Cryoed frozen?

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 10
the job of a CD is to have spots reflecting something back to a sensor or not, so that the spots can be identified as 0 or 1 from a binary code. no possible concept of heat or cold treatment on the reflective surface of a CD is going to somehow change the digital code into something more accurate that the proper value. maybe it will mess up the surface and create errors, that is certainly possible with any strong thermal shock. one thing is very sure, freezing a CD can't possibly have anything to do with:
More stable, three-dimensional sound,
Increased detail and dynamic range
that much is Harry Potter's level of magic nonsense.

there is a long history of dropping random audio gear into liquid nitrogen without a clear understanding of what it does. or for that matter any objective evidence that it did more than create micro tear in the audio gear due to thermal shock. it's just part of the folklore, along with overly specific burn in rituals, dudes "cooking" their cables, rubbing snake oil, etc. there is little evidence supporting those actions TBH. but it certainly can make someone feels special and more involved in an otherwise very passive hobby. so I can't deny the subjective benefits that some people get from all that.
about the claim of innovation and perhaps most advanced whatever in the first link, I'm going to go on a limb here and assume that the aeronautic giants, the military, NASA and all those guys who for one reason or another have been testing and using cryogenic processes for decades, may have a tiny edge over some dudes with a nitrogen tank in the UK who are trying to sell audio cables and frosty CDs. just my guess of course. they could also be highly competent in their job and just do that audiophile crap on the side.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 10
It's the same as gold plated CDs. No effect on sound quality at all. It's all sales pitch.

By the way, is this one of those threads that the mods thoughtfully dump on the doorstep of Sound Science thinking we would enjoy them?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 10
An EE in a (super conductor) research lab reports that while cyro treatment of a wire will have a very small but measurable difference, that difference will disappear after the wire is flexed a few times.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I heard that if you keep wires straight and don't allow them to curl, the sound goes through them faster and cleaner. All those kinks slow down the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back