Is B&W p5 worth it?
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 50
I am also very interested in reading a review. I have only seen pictures to this point, I didnt even know they hit the market. The P5 Mobiles looks sexy, B&W did a great job with the design.

Too bad they are on ear, noise cancelling headphones. Wish they were circumaural.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 50
The answer to your question depends on your definition of "worth it". On the basis they are from B&W, it is their first headphone, and the fact they are new to the market will mean to many that they are worth it - to be the first to own them, etc. From a pure price/value perspective, we will of course have to wait and see reviews from knowledgeable Head-Fiers,and others, but it seems unlikely, at least from what I have read to-date on them, they will be competitive sonically with the top headphones in their price range.

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 50
Well, in the end only you can tell.
We can recommend any way or the other, but it's your ears and money who will have to decide.

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... but it seems unlikely, at least from what I have read to-date on them, they will be competitive sonically with the top headphones in their price range.

Nothing that I have read about them to date has brought me to that conclusion. It's just too early to tell in my opinion. Jude has received a pair for review and created a thread about them in the full-sized headphone section with photographs. He has not posted his thoughts as yet.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing that I have read about them to date has brought me to that conclusion. It's just too early to tell in my opinion. Jude has received a pair for review and created a thread about them in the full-sized headphone section with photographs. He has not posted his thoughts as yet.

I think I hedged myself with a similar 'wait and see' comment just prior to that, but for the sake of discussion, do you really think these can compete with the HD 650/600s and AKG 701/702s, and Beyerdynamic models, to name a few, that are all in the same price range?

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

I think I hedged myself with a similar 'wait and see' comment just prior to that, but for the sake of discussion, do you really think these can compete with the HD 650/600s and AKG 701/702s, and Beyerdynamic models, to name a few, that are all in the same price range?

They won't be able to, but they were never designed with that thought in mind. Remember, the P5s are made to be a portable set of headphones, like the sennheiser px100 or ksc75, if a few steps higher in sound quality. Something like the hd6xx type headphones are designed for home use only. Big difference.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 50
^Some people like IEMs which are the epitome of portable. On the other hand, they aren't huge, and can probably fold flat. So they will fit in a briefcase. So perhaps it's best to think of them as "transportable" cans.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Yes, you did initially but then you went on and gave your assessment anyway. In answer to your question, I really have no idea at this very early stage.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 50
That's what hedging is.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thing is they are made of leather and metal. No plastic parts. Gives more natural sound

O____o

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They won't be able to, but they were never designed with that thought in mind. Remember, the P5s are made to be a portable set of headphones, like the sennheiser px100 or ksc75, if a few steps higher in sound quality. Something like the hd6xx type headphones are designed for home use only. Big difference.

The $300 you will be spending is mainly on the brand name. Just like bose. You buy their products since they have a reputable name and market their product very well in which you wouldnt hesitate buying since you trust them. But if it delivers a close-to-perfect portable headphone where you are buying the comfort,materials,sound,etc then it is worth it for me. If the reviews on apple uk are true, then i would buy this over any can with a $300 or less price tag anyday. Hopefully they live up to the hype

Users who are viewing this thread

Back