Is Audeze LCD-2 with very good gear better than LCD-3 with normal gear?
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Sebab

New Head-Fier
I've been thinking if I should buy an Audeze LCD-2 + Moon-Audio Silver Dragon V3 Headphone cable + Moon-Audio Silver Dragon V3 USB-cable + Alo Audio Pan Am + Passport battery pack,

Or an Audeze LCD-3 with just the stock cable + cheap USB-cable + Alo Audio Pan am without Passport battery pack.

These cost about the same amount of money so I would really appreciate it if someone told me which set would sound better.

Thank you!

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 32
Probably the LCD-3 setup. Headphones always make the most difference, followed by gear, then cables. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 32
LCD-3. That's the big bullet to bite. Piece together a system as you can afterwards. Don't worry so much about blowing dough in fancy cables. Upgrade if the stock ones take a dump.

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 32
The step up from the LCD2 to the LCD3 is not proportional to price so keep that in mind.  I wouldn't worry about cables until the rest of your setup is up to where you want it.  Priority should go source, headphones, then the rest.

An alternative is to get the LCD2 with a different amp (if you aren't dead set on the ALO).  Maybe consider this combo with a DAC of your choice:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Apex_Peak_and_Audeze_LCD2_Package_Deal_p/aaa0000091.htm

Another combo I personally got to listen to and liked was the Audeze with a Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #10 of 32
  The step up from the LCD2 to the LCD3 is not proportional to price so keep that in mind.  

Agree, I think the LCD-3 sounds vastly better than the 2 at only about double the cost.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 32
Great, thanks for this important information!

So is the difference between the LCD-2 and 3 really that big? What I've heard they should be like 20% better at double the price.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #12 of 32
  Great, thanks for this important information!

So is the difference between the LCD-2 and 3 really that big? What I've heard they should be like 20% better at double the price.

No, its not that big of a difference. What you heard is correct. You pay double, but you don't get headphones that are twice as good.  Its an incremental improvement.  Some have said its not even an improvement, and that it just sounds different. 

Some people think its worth, others don't.  Its just something to consider, and truthfully, auditioning both is the only way you'll ever be able to tell if its worth it.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 32
Buy the LCD 2 and cheapo cables. For future reference when parsing head-fi, anyone who suggests upgraded USB cables is too far gone into audiophile dementia to have any grasp of the concept of value.

The difference between the LCD 2 and the LCD 3 isn't all that great and a fair number of people actually prefer the tonality of the 2. It's really worthwhile to sample these headphones first to see if they are what you are looking for and if the upgrade to the LCD 3 is worth it to you.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 32
  Buy the LCD 2 and cheapo cables. For future reference when parsing head-fi, anyone who suggests upgraded USB cables is too far gone into audiophile dementia to have any grasp of the concept of value.

But cryo treated, 110% pure platinum cables hand built my monks really makes a huge difference!!!

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 32
The LCD-3 might only be 20% better, but the 20% is disproportionately important. They're far better than the 2, make no mistake about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back