Is apple trying to win us back?
May 14, 2014 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mab1376

1000+ Head-Fier
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/13/hd-audio-ios-8-new-in-ear-headphones-lightning/

"Currently, iOS 7's stock Music app cannot play high quality 24-bit audio files that contain a sampling frequency beyond 48 kHz. Additionally, while third-party apps such as Onkyo's HF Player and FLAC Player are able to play said audio files, users are still limited to onboard playback at a 16-bit rate. Apple is also said to be preparing an upgraded Lightning cable to accommodate high-definition playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories, although it isn't clear when the company would introduce the updated wire."

May 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Win us back? I think you would find a huge and ever growing Apple fan base. Just purchased a new 16 gig Touch 5th gen yesterday.

Listening to those low-fi MP3s:D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719695/the-new-apple-ios8-june-2nd-2014#post_10565664

May 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 5
no.

apple is preparing to charge more for something, thats all. 

if apple wanted to storm back into audiophile land it could if it wanted but doesnt.  i mean it wouldnt be hard to make a new ipod "classic"  go back to decent DAC's with a good line out and slap in a huge hdd.  remember that for a long long time the audiophile set up was an ipod then line out to an amp.  an that was when 60 or 80GB was huuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeee.

May 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 5
  no.

apple is preparing to charge more for something, thats all. 

if apple wanted to storm back into audiophile land it could if it wanted but doesnt.  i mean it wouldnt be hard to make a new ipod "classic"  go back to decent DAC's with a good line out and slap in a huge hdd.  remember that for a long long time the audiophile set up was an ipod then line out to an amp.  an that was when 60 or 80GB was huuuuuugggggggggeeeeeeee.

If only they would add friggin FLAC support... I personally bought a Sansa clip to replace my ipod that was stolen a while ago. (super cheap, rockbox support, and micro sd support).

If they made a new 160GB or bigger classic, with full flac support, decent wolfson dac (which i believe they used to use), and a true line out solution, i'd be sold!

Converting things to apple lossless is a pain when you have a few hundred gigs of music.

May 14, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 5
flac support, well im the first to slate them for using a proprietary format just to be incompatable with other products but ALAC i something i can live with, grantei flac would be nicer.

the 160GB "classic"  though, that was the one that moved to the cheap cirrus logic dac so i dont concider it an audiophile product.  its only plus was it was huge at the time but it sacrificed quality.  the 60 and 80 (okay maybe not quote me in the 80) the 5G ipods were the good ones.  i still have two of them but ill confess has fallen out of use for me.

i do hear you about the conversions though.  i have several hundred GB of music, mostly in flac but i keep a seperate (two actually) collections.  one on the day to day comp in alac and one in 320k mp3 on the laptop. i just had to take the cica 60gb alac version and shunt the whole lot back into flac.  its a time consuming waste but its not something that hapens often

Users who are viewing this thread

Back