1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Is Apple Music vs Tidal bit rate?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by wdh777, Nov 18, 2018.
  1. wdh777
    what bit rate is Apple Music (44.1 or 48) and how does this compare to tidal? Thanks

Steve999 likes this.
  2. bfreedma
    ITunes streams are 256kbps AAC. Tildal HiFi streams lossless FLAC, which will be somewhat variable based on individual songs but is nominally 1411kbps. I believe Tidal also some higher bitrate labeled as Tidal Masters that use MQA (for whatever that’s worth)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  3. wdh777
    Thanks but what is the bit rate of each? I thought Apple was 44.1/256 and tidal was 48/1411?

4. wdh777
    Or maybe my terminal loft is wrong. Is the sampling rate 44.1 or 48 vs bit rate?

5. bfreedma
    Those would be sample rates. Apple and the majority of Tidal stream use a 44.1 sample rate. Again, Tidal Masters with MQA purport to stream a sample rate of 192kHz folded down to 96kHz. To date, objective testing shows that humans are not able to discern the difference in those sample rates. In the vast majority of cases, 256kbps AAC is audibly transparent as well.