Is anyone here into amateur radio?
Sep 24, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Huh?
confused.gif
First you say that nothings on, then you might check to see if somethings on.
rolleyes.gif

Just reminiscing about shortwave today vs. shortwave around 1980, when I got my first radio. There's stuff on, but there's nothing ON...
plainface.gif
Just mho...

Oct 11, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 40
Yes fractus2 !

There is something wrong. I searched for Short Wave Hand Book at Amazon. You may try this.

Best

Ari

EDIT>>>>

0823059677.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the book man !!

WRTH 2003 World Radio TV Handbook

It's here

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #33 of 40
Hey fractus2 !

I saw this at Drake's web site:

"Almost three years ago DRAKE began discussions with Lextronix, the company holding exclusive marketing rights to Grundig branded shortwave products. The discussions focused on a strategic alliance that would result in a world class shortwave product embodying DRAKE's world renowned "radio know-how", Grundig's reputation, Lextronix's strong marketing and distribution capabilities and world class manufacturing. The result is the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium."

This Satellit 800 Millennium must be some !!! And I did not know Drake was with Grundig on this.
confused.gif

I will try one some day...

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #34 of 40
I had an early production model of the Satellit 800 (I returned it due to QC defects which they've probably ironed out by now - although they're still made in China). The radio is HUGE, more like a large boombox than a shortwave receiver (portable only in that it has a handle and can be carried). Very similar to the pricier and now-discontinued Drake SW-8 portatop (which I had at one time also -- it replaced the returned Sat 800) and actually based directly on its internal design. Half decent radio, sensitive... has quite a few spurious signal problems (birdies) which annoyed the heck out of me but may not bother most people. Nice long built-in whip antenna with preamplification which may obviate the need for any other antenna.

If you get one, it may be worth getting a refurbished model from Universal-Radio (those have been through Drake's factory in the USA), there's actually a better chance you'll get one totally free of defects that way because they've been inspected and checked over in the USA vs. just pumped out of a Chinese shop somewhere and put on the market. Cheaper, as well.

P.S... fwiw, I believe "Grundig" is now one of those empty brand names owned by another company (forgot the name) and if I remember correctly the Sat. 800 is a collaboration between that unnamed other company and Drake USA.

Most of this stuff is public knowledge, I think it's there on that R. Netherlands receiver review site (not sure if you said you'd browsed that one).

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/satellit800.html

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_current.html

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 40
Ari, I was reading about Drake collaboration with Grundig to make the Satellit 800. The only thing about that model is the shell is plastic I think. But it's portable and I may go with a portable unit than a straight desktop. I recognize that book, or the WRTH. I think I had one of those years ago. Thanks for the recomendations.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Ari
Hey fractus2

Kenwood receivers used to be better than yaesus on reception. More filtering options, more audio quality. You should look for then before your decision. Drakes are also venerables for it's reception.

Here some good books.

Best

Ari

Thanks Ari, I'll check out some Kenwoods. I think there might be something wrong with the link.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Thanks fewtch. I was reading about the refurbished models. This is going to be a touch decision. I like the FRG-100 but it does not have a keypad. The 800 sound good but it's huge, and plastic. I'm leaning toward the ICOM IC-R75 now.

IMHO another very good receiver, but some have said it's really better for utility and SSB listening than general shortwave program listening. I forgot why though, perhaps a few deficiencies here and there related to AM mode (strange filter bandwidths maybe?).

This talk is bringing back a lot of memories (last time I really was into shortwave was in the summer of 2000, and I was out of it again by early-mid 2001). I did the same thing you're doing now though, reading through tons of reviews of various hardware and drooling...
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #38 of 40
Thanks fewtch. I was reading about the refurbished models. This is going to be a touch decision. I like the FRG-100 but it does not have a keypad. The 800 sound good but it's huge, and plastic. I'm leaning toward the ICOM IC-R75 now.

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 40
I've read a few posts referring to the poor audio. There are the Kiwi mods though, and they throw in the DSP with purchase now a days. I wonder if you can have them send the unit to Kiwi, have them install the mods, then get it ready to play from Kiwi?

Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
IMHO another very good receiver, but some have said it's really better for utility and SSB listening than general shortwave program listening. I forgot why though, perhaps a few deficiencies here and there related to AM mode (strange filter bandwidths maybe?).

This talk is bringing back a lot of memories (last time I really was into shortwave was in the summer of 2000, and I was out of it again by early-mid 2001). I did the same thing you're doing now though, reading through tons of reviews of various hardware and drooling...
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #40 of 40
i haven't done any shortwave listening in a while but i use a Sangean ATS-909 which is nice because it's small and portable but doesn't recieve all that well. My father uses a Sony ICF-2010 which recieves better and i like better myself because of it's a more capable radio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back