Is anyone happy with just one headphone?
Dec 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

vo328

500+ Head-Fier
So, in my head-fi journey thus far, I've been through a few different headphones and have found that there really isn't one headphone that is the "end-all" set of cans for me. I've realized that this is really due to my changing mood and music types. Depending on whether I want to analyze what I'm listening to, or just groove to a nice jam, or have Diana Krall caress my ears, I'll reach for something out of the tiny collection that I've got.

So, since what I'm looking for in my listening experience changes all the time, depending on mood and listening material, I don't think it is possible *for me* to have be happy with just one set of headphones.

-Vik

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 169
Uuuuuuuhhhhhh... not me.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 169
My all time favourite is still the HD 650.

It's just "good" for everything. An all rounder so to speak.

The most fun headphone to work on is the K-1000. I'm building a set around those now.

I also have a couple of IEM's for portable use and the ER4S for me is a very close second to the 650.

The proudest headphone I own is a British Airways / Sennheiser HD 25 SP which they used to use on the concord.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 169
Uhh I thought I was...

I have been moving from headphone to headphone...first I had the AD700, sold those for the E4c, sold that for a K501, which I plan to keep, but now I'll be getting a DT880 soon. Looks like it'll be my first time with two pairs of phones
600smile.gif
280smile.gif

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 169
To be honest, almost any decent pair of headphones would be fine as a long term all arounder for most people. What makes it not so is that this is a site built around hobbiests. So you do get sucked into it.

If someone were to come here, take a look around for a day or two (reading a lot and asking a couple of questions), he/she could make a purchase desicion that would lead to a very satisfying result 99% of the time, IF (and only if) he/she was wise enough never to return to Head-Fi!

I'm serious about this. I've got a Panasonic FZ-20 digital camera and I'm as pleased as can be with it. I'm sure there were a zillion other choices then and even more now, each of which will offer some features that are "different" and in some cases clearly "better". But my camera suits my needs just fine. I don't use it often. Normally just when I'm travelling. It's easy to use, fairly small and light weight, takes great pictures, and was within my budget.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to think any further about my FZ-20 at this time. Perhaps one day digital photography will come to mean more to me and I'll be wanting something better, or something that will fill particularized needs that I might then have. For now, it does way more than I've even figured out how to use.

Same is true in the audio hobby. What people don't know normally doesn't hurt them one bit. Unless someone sticks around here and really starts to become a headphone hobbiest, there is no need to have more than one pair of headphones. Had I just dropped into Head-Fi and moved on with life, I'm sure I'd still be 100% satisfied with the sound of the HD600, which were the headphones that I already had when I joined here. They were (and still are) great. It's just now that I know what else is out there, I've gotten a little bit spoiled.

So to answer the question "yes" or "no" you will first need to define what you're looking for by hanging out here. If it's a quick fix to a problem that you have (i.e., need headphones for X purpose), then yes, one pair (any one of many) will do the trick and keep you happy. If you're wanting more so to learn and grow into the hobby and to experiment with different sound signatures, then no. In fact, there is no end to it until you define for yourself where that should be.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 169
I *wish* I was happy with only one can, and some day in my future audio travels I hope that wish to become true.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, almost any decent pair of headphones would be fine as a long term all arounder for most people. What makes it not so is that this is a site built around hobbiests. So you do get sucked into it.

If someone were to come here, take a look around for a day or two (reading a lot and asking a couple of questions), he/she could make a purchase desicion that would lead to a very satisfying result 99% of the time, IF (and only if) he/she was wise enough never to return to Head-Fi!

I'm serious about this. I've got a Panasonic FZ-20 digital camera and I'm as pleased as can be with it. I'm sure there were a zillion other choices then and even more now, each of which will offer some features that are "different" and in some cases clearly "better". But my camera suits my needs just fine. I don't use it often. Normally just when I'm travelling. It's easy to use, fairly small and light weight, takes great pictures, and was within my budget.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no need to think any further about my FZ-20 at this time. Perhaps one day digital photography will come to mean more to me and I'll be wanting something better, or something that will fill particularized needs that I might then have. For now, it does way more than I've even figured out how to use.

Same is true in the audio hobby. What people don't know normally doesn't hurt them one bit. Unless someone sticks around here and really starts to become a headphone hobbiest, there is no need to have more than one pair of headphones. Had I just dropped into Head-Fi and moved on with life, I'm sure I'd still be 100% satisfied with the sound of the HD600, which were the headphones that I already had when I joined here. They were (and still are) great. It's just now that I know what else is out there, I've gotten a little bit spoiled.

So to answer the question "yes" or "no" you will first need to define what you're looking for by hanging out here. If it's a quick fix to a problem that you have (i.e., need headphones for X purpose), then yes, one pair (any one of many) will do the trick and keep you happy. If you're wanting more so to learn and grow into the hobby and to experiment with different sound signatures, then no. In fact, there is no end to it until you define for yourself where that should be.

So well said!
icon10.gif
"Hobby" changes every think.

To answer your question for me my source is great.(I think I am finished there) I could live with the Sennheiser HD650 for ever great headphones New amp on the way. We will see.

Dec 16, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 169
These RS-2s have my attention....

But I'm sure the change up for the sake of just that, a different presentation will at some point strike me.....

I do think this Grado may well have me offering the DT990s up to the F/S subforum for someone to enjoy them as they have been replaced for that spot in my line up, as one might expect ;-}

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 169
I came here a few years ago because my trusty old sony eggo D77 started to act up the cable had been giving me problems for a while but i just got fed up and i began my search for a new set. When i got the eggos they were called MDR D77. I had searched for a new set off and on countless times but the day i came here i got lucky and found a link where some one called them eggos. Once i figured out the name of these had changed everything opeend up for me. I went threw probobly $1K try some of the better known cans and many sounded good but non felt the same or had the same bass and mids my eggos had.

After trying countless sets of cans i then started a search for a replacement set of eggos and then i started a collection of eggos. I eventualy sold all my headphones and put the money into the eggos collection. Bored one day i tried a mod to the eggos and WOW! one little mod turned the cans i had use for about 10 years or more into the best ever. After that my search was over

Im back because my quest for the perfect IEMs is still going. I want the bass of the JVC marshmellows with the forwardness and smooth mids of the shure E3s. It seems with IEMs good bass comes with harsh mids. If the mids are good the bass is lacking.

For me the perfect set of cans is the sony eggo D77... quest over.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 169
I own a few pairs of high end headphones now, but I generally use my AKG k701s. Even with rarely using my HD650s or HD595s now, I can't bring myself to sell them. So long story short, no, not happy with just one, although I have no good reason since 90% of the time I'm using my 701s.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 169
I could be perfectly happy for the rest of my life with an HD-650, Orpheus, or probably a Lambda Pro. I think I might get a 595 soon, we'll see how I like those.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 169
i'm happy with one can on my head if it's a good can. but the second i take it off, i'm on the hunt for another...and another...

Dec 16, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep... agreed. For me, this is a journey where I am learning lots about sound presentation. The same track, through the same source, to different cans sounds... well... different. That's such a cool thing for me. I cannot afford to have many different sets of speakers (well, 3 sets is enough at present) in my home, yet headphones are relatively more affordable. I can hear different presentations of the same material and through each presentation, have a different experience each time. It's like when you are a kid and open a new present on your birthday... I get that feeling of discovery, or rather, rediscovery in this particular case. It's tremendously therapeutic and ethereal at the same time.

I guess I've become a headphone hobbyist, and am damn proud of it.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back