Is anyone else's HD650 overly "creaky"?
Nov 16, 2004 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my 650s and they sound great but one thing's bothering me. The left cup moves easier than the right (a little looser I woud say), so when I listen to music and move my jaw, it makes a creaky noise. This only happens on the left side. Bothers me when I'm trying to sing to the music, which I tend to do when I really get into a song. Otherwise it's fine. Anyoby else's HD650 like this?

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 49
Mine do the same thing. i ignore it. dont want to lube the hinges with anything before someone else does it...would something like wd-40 affect the paint?

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 49
My 650s did it when I attached the Zu cable as I pushed harder on the left can and it started creaking. After a while it stopped.

Simon

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitri
Mine do the same thing. i ignore it. dont want to lube the hinges with anything before someone else does it...would something like wd-40 affect the paint?

This interests me as well. Has anyone tried getting rid of loose hinge?

I'm really loving the sound, even from a crappy source. (still waiting for someone to sell their sr-71)

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I just got my 650s and they sound great but one thing's bothering me. The left cup moves easier than the right (a little looser I woud say), so when I listen to music and move my jaw, it makes a creaky noise. This only happens on the left side. Bothers me when I'm trying to sing to the music, which I tend to do when I really get into a song. Otherwise it's fine. Anyoby else's HD650 like this?

That is funny you mention it because the left side of my HD-650's were creaky as well. It used to drive me nuts.

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 49
I think wd40 may be a little on the intense side for use with a headphone
eek.gif

How about a little bit of silicon lubricant?

Nov 17, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 49
Funny, I was going to ask the very same question.

My 650's were actually driving me nuts until I removed the earcups and treated them with industrial vaseline of some sort. They still make strange little noises, but I hope it's just a break-in stage one has to endure...
600smile.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 49
If I were to use, say, the lubricant used for skateboard bearings, would that be plausible?

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 49
Maybe a good idea would be a new headband altogether. Honestly, the current headband doesn't scootch down far enough to fit my huge melon. If it's creaky, chop it off and stick a Grado Headband on there or something and call me in the morning!

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Maybe a good idea would be a new headband altogether. Honestly, the current headband doesn't scootch down far enough to fit my huge melon. If it's creaky, chop it off and stick a Grado Headband on there or something and call me in the morning!

Really? I have a large head, and at a few notches it fits fine. You'd have to have an unhumanly large head for it not to stretch enough.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 49
I don't have these headphones so I'm not sure exactly what the squeaky part is, but I have two sets of Sony eggo headphones that both creaked very badly. On the first pair I used graphite powder (used for lubricating locks) on the pivots. On the second pair I rubbed candle wax on the pivots instead and it also worked well. I would imagine that something like talcum powder would also work. There just needs to be something to keep the plastic to plastic joints from sticking.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Really? I have a large head, and at a few notches it fits fine. You'd have to have an unhumanly large head for it not to stretch enough.

i tried 2 diff hd650s at the meet and they wouldnt click down far enough. call me Stuey. (family guy reference!)

Mar 3, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #15 of 49
Bringing back an old thread, but I thought it was better than starting a new one. My HD650s have been creaky since I got them. It is starting to drive my nuts. Anytime I move my mouth or head in any significant way they creak. It is really annoying.

Has anyone figured out a good way to get rid of the creaks without damaging the headphones?

I think I just got a crappy pair of HD650s. Peeling paint and creaky joints...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back