Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Mar 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #347 of 499
Is it (mouser) the nickname of the person who sells KGSSHV DIY parts?

It's hard to guess from the above, but this might be your first diy project, isn't it?

A bit of caution may be in order before you eletrocute yourself with this, please read read amd read even more before you run with this.

Arnaud

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #351 of 499
I suggest your friend take a look at the link I posted instead of you playing the intermediary role

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #352 of 499
You might want to consider the 'other place.' They're much more informative than these parts and
generally updated more often as well. Do take caution in buying from the 'right' places,' there's lots of fake parts out there.

Lastly, just don't die. Take your time and be careful. :)

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #353 of 499
This is more an issue with everything that isn't the KGSSHV, all the parts for the modern version are now sold by mr mouser. the IXYS parts are expensive but that's really about it. technically you don't even need to case the thing if you give it a good spray of conformal coating if you are cheap

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #354 of 499
  This is more an issue with everything that isn't the KGSSHV, all the parts for the modern version are now sold by mr mouser. the IXYS parts are expensive but that's really about it. technically you don't even need to case the thing if you give it a good spray of conformal coating if you are cheap

Good point. It wasn't clear at all which version he was going for, so for, say, the 1968 parts this might change things. I know at the time there was a little trouble in sourcing some  2sc4686a's. Bdent worked out though. Just something to consider.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #355 of 499
  Good point. It wasn't clear at all which version he was going for, so for, say, the 1968 parts this might change things. I know at the time there was a little trouble in sourcing some  2sc4686a's. Bdent worked out though. Just something to consider.

I may have missed this but where is the 2SC4686A used (I don't see them in the BOM) and what's the benefit of it? The reason is that I still can access the 2SC4686A in Japan.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #356 of 499
the 2sc4686 are the original output devices used before the "modernization", my guess is less cap than the ixtd* part

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #357 of 499

I may have missed this but where is the 2SC4686A used (I don't see them in the BOM) and what's the benefit of it? The reason is that I still can access the 2SC4686A in Japan.

As NoPants noted they're the original output devices. The 'benefit' is a supposed sweeter sound. 

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #358 of 499
  As NoPants noted they're the original output devices. The 'benefit' is a supposed sweeter sound. 

Gotcha. I have last year's on and off-boards and also jumped onto the KGSSHvk boards which came out in Sept/Oct. I guess none of them would be able to leverage on the 2SC4686A?

Sadly more than 1 year has passed and despite having bought the boards, and transistors from Sato Denki, I've not progressed in my build.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #359 of 499
they should work, iirc there are spots for both isolated and exposed-tab devices. even if there aren't just bend the legs to make it work. spritzer has given the blessing on the IXYS "sound" though

I'm jealous, you get some good prices on those active devices.

What's stopping you from finishing? It's fairly straightforward before casework, the KGSSHVk moreso than the others.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #360 of 499

Gotcha. I have last year's on and off-boards and also jumped onto the KGSSHvk boards which came out in Sept/Oct. I guess none of them would be able to leverage on the 2SC4686A?

Sadly more than 1 year has passed and despite having bought the boards, and transistors from Sato Denki, I've not progressed in my build.

Brain fart. I was referring to the 2sa1968 being sweeter sounding. 

You can use either. I don't personally think there's a big difference with the IXY's over the 'older parts'. More drift, but that isn't really a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back