Is Anybody Else Missing MD Players?
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

kanadakiss39

Banned
Well, I'm selling both my old HD20 and my newly-recieved iPod, so for the coming days and the plane ride to Japan I whipped out my good old MZ-EH1 HiMD player... I don't know what it is, but it still sounds better to me than any other HD DAP that I've heard. Sure, recording MDs is a pain, and the UI on MD players needs a LOT of work...

Does anyone else miss that good old MD sound? I'm kind of regretting selling my NH1 now!

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 86
I love the sound of my MD player (sharp IM-DR80), must admit I haven't tried the newest batch of HD DAP's - but there are so many things that MD just does better:
gapless, recordable, insane battery life, good remotes, great sound...

the list of negatives is about three times that length, but let us keep this thread positive. RockBox on an ipod nano might satisfy my needs though...

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 86
YES! That's a second point I really love about my MD... a fantastic remote. Why can't they produce a half-decent remote for flash/HDD DAPs? The only one that's even come remotely close (sorry for the oxymoron..) is the iRiver h1xx remote. Although the Sony remotes sometimes go nutty, they're quite affordable to replace (like what, 30$ for the 3-line remote?) and I'd much rather replace the remote than have to replace the whole unit, or take apart the unit and replace buttons/the LCD.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 86
Not really. The battery life is great, but recording at 1:1, dealing with multiple discs, no tags, Sonic Stage.... I'll take my iPod. I don't understand the whole remote thing, when the unit is a foot away.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 86
If anything, used with the best files that a portable can reproduce the latest DAPs do a better job of things than Hi-MD. Too many people read in higher quality with "HD" digital amps which are there in practical terms primarily to eke out maximum battery life.

And I wouldn't miss the NH1 too much either... give it a month or so, Sony might announce something which you may like. I think it's too little too late as usual with Sony these days, but no doubt the MD enthusiasts will breathe a sigh of relief... and will have something new to fanboy over the DAP crowd
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanadakiss39
YES! That's a second point I really love about my MD... a fantastic remote. Why can't they produce a half-decent remote for flash/HDD DAPs? The only one that's even come remotely close (sorry for the oxymoron..) is the iRiver h1xx remote. Although the Sony remotes sometimes go nutty, they're quite affordable to replace (like what, 30$ for the 3-line remote?) and I'd much rather replace the remote than have to replace the whole unit, or take apart the unit and replace buttons/the LCD.

its a pun
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 86
I reckon 352kps ATRAC is on a par with any 320Kps MP3 you can produce. So the only thing thats better than that is lossless vs PCM. Where a DAP might better is via a line out which HiMD's don't have.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanadakiss39

One thing I don't like about the iRiver remote (for my iHP-120), is the unintuitive controls that don't match the controls on the player itself. Instead of a single 4 way toggle, it uses two 2 way toggles.

But no, I don't miss MD players.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back