Is anybody else anoyed that Grizzly Man didn't even get nominated for and oscar?
Mar 9, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish
Its just that alot of the interviews with the coroner and other people came off as fake with really bad acting.

Yes, the coroner was annoying as hell. If I were Herzog, I would have cut all of his scenes out.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 21
Hoop Dreams OTOH, that was really something.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard about Grizzly Man, and it does seem more Darwin Awards than Oscar Awards.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADS
I didn't like "Grizzly Man" at all. I found it overly pretentious and quite stupid.

I think that people that call art pretentious with out explaining at all what they are talking about usually just don't have the ability to critically understand art. They just react to things based on their weak tastes and spout platitudes like "pretentious". They know even if not conciously that its hard for anyone to argue with a statment that is absolutly meaningles without looking like a jerk, which I am not at all afraid of.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I think that people that call art pretentious with out explaining at all what they are talking about usually just don't have the ability to critically understand art. They just react to things based on their weak tastes and spout platitudes like "pretentious". They know even if not conciously that its hard for anyone to argue with a statment that is absolutly meaningles without looking like a jerk, which I am not at all afraid of.

Sorry if I came off that way. I have very specific reasons for calling "Grizzly Man" pretentious. Everyone involved in the project seemed convinced they were shining light on some deep, dark portion of the human soul, that their work was a deep look into our own flawed nature, and that they had glimpsed something, through Timothy Treadwell's life and death, frightening and revealing. My reaction to Treadwell's footage that was shown was essentially "idiot tries to make friends with bears and gets eaten, because he's an idiot". There's no deeper story or lesson, except that bears are carnivores, and people can be food.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 21
its funny how forums end up sounding like an Anton Chekhov story so frequently. If he were writing today I bet he would have writen something like this.

P.S. sorry for getting so bent out of shape a few posts ago. The word pretentious pushes my buttons but I shouldn't have snapped at you like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back