Is anybody else anoyed that Grizzly Man didn't even get nominated for and oscar?
Mar 6, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

aaroncort

Banned
I actually stopped watching the oscars when the best documentary of 2005 came up and grizzly man wasn't even nominated. I would have even been pissed if it had been nominated and didn't win. This was just a real kick in the balls.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 21
I agree. But before "Hoop Dreams" the category was even more of a joke. The Hoop Dreams DVD had clips of Siskel and Ebert talking about how the documentary category was basically a "good ol' boys" network. It was the public outcry when Hoop Dreams wasn't even nominated that forced the Academy to change the rules in that category.

I also must point out that the Academy also always make terrible nominations for the foreign film category.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 21
He should have been nominated for a Darwin Award.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 21
its to deter people from not doing insane (didn't say stupid for an obvious reason) stunts like this.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 21
I agree, "Grizzly Man" should have gotten nominated in the Best Documentary Feature category. I think it should've taken the nomination spot from "Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room."

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 21
I thought Grizzly man was one of the worst documentaries I have ever seen. There were barely any scenes with actual bears. Most of the movie consisted of some moron running around the woods talking complete nonsense. To me the documentary seemed like a bunch of really bad actors making a really bad fake documentary.
confused.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boognish
I thought Grizzly man was one of the worst documentaries I have ever seen. There were barely any scenes with actual bears. Most of the movie consisted of some moron running around the woods talking complete nonsense. To me the documentary seemed like a bunch of really bad actors making a really bad fake documentary.
confused.gif

Suprised you'd say that. What happened on the screen happened in real life.

I found it an extremely interesting character study of a guy with some serious issues.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 21
I realize everything that happened in the documentary supposedly happened in real life. Its just that alot of the interviews with the coroner and other people came off as fake with really bad acting. Like the scene where the narrator is listening to the tape of them being eaten, then tells the lady to destroy it
rolleyes.gif
(no one gets to hear it but him). I found it humorous in a this is silly and cant be for real kind of way.

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Suprised you'd say that. What happened on the screen happened in real life.

I found it an extremely interesting character study of a guy with some serious issues.

I agree, and I think Boognish kind of missed the point of the movie by paying too much attention to how everything seemed like fake acting. Also it was directed by Werner Herzog who is awesome.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

I realize everything that happened in the documentary supposedly happened in real life. Its just that alot of the interviews with the coroner and other people came off as fake with really bad acting. Like the scene where the narrator is listening to the tape of them being eaten, then tells the lady to destroy it
rolleyes.gif
(no one gets to hear it but him). I found it humorous in a this is silly and cant be for real kind of way.

I read an article in Reader's Digest prior to seeing the movie. The article commented on how horrible that tape is. I think if he was trying to exploit the event through a contrived reaction, he would have been better served playing the tape. I think that was genuine emotion you saw.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 21
I didn't like "Grizzly Man" at all. I found it overly pretentious and quite stupid.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

confused.gif

Ditto. I had seen a TV documentary about the guy a few years back. I think this was even before he was killed and I found it to be really interesting. That documentary focused primarily on his experiences out in the wilderness. But I did not like the Grizzly Man documentary. When I first started watching it and heard the narrator's voice I thought it was a parody or joke.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I actually stopped watching the oscars when the best documentary of 2005 came up and grizzly man wasn't even nominated. I would have even been pissed if it had been nominated and didn't win. This was just a real kick in the balls.

I guess popular cinematic tastes have shifted away from your basic western outdoors adventure/romance with a happy ending.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 21
Wow, there were a lot of commercials on the discovery airing of Grizzly Man. I bet that it was at least 30 min/hr of spots. It was hard to sit through, and I was watching it on Tivo. I finally just kept the remote in my hand.

Hate to say it but I think he got what he deserved. There are guys here on head-fi that I think are nuts, but that was unreal.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

It wasn't about bears though. It was about that dude. Which really, to me, is a lot more interesting. We have PBS, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet for straight animal documentaries. This was a psychological/character study. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back