Is an external DAC worht it if I have the Sound Blaster Z?
Dec 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KewlMunky

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my HE 400s for Christmas and they sound amazing ( coming from WS99 ). Currentliy running them off a fiio e12, but am planning on getting the magni 2 uber for them fairly soon.

I have not tested these headphones out for gaming yet, so I'm not sure if I'll be using them or my Turtle Beach set. My question is, would getting a dedicated external DAC be noticeably better for the HE 400s than the Sound Blaster Z as a DAC? I understand a sound card can pick up noise being it's inside my computer, but I do a lot of gaming and want the sound card mainly to improve gaming sound.

So, if I am getting the soundcard anyway, would it be worth it to still get an external DAC ( modi 2 uber )? Would be nice to have an Uber Schiit stack :p

Thanks

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't really think so..

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 3
  I just got my HE 400s for Christmas and they sound amazing ( coming from WS99 ). Currentliy running them off a fiio e12, but am planning on getting the magni 2 uber for them fairly soon.

I have not tested these headphones out for gaming yet, so I'm not sure if I'll be using them or my Turtle Beach set. My question is, would getting a dedicated external DAC be noticeably better for the HE 400s than the Sound Blaster Z as a DAC? I understand a sound card can pick up noise being it's inside my computer, but I do a lot of gaming and want the sound card mainly to improve gaming sound.

So, if I am getting the soundcard anyway, would it be worth it to still get an external DAC ( modi 2 uber )? Would be nice to have an Uber Schiit stack :p

Thanks

No. I still use my X-Fi Titanium HD sound card with my Lyr 2 amp. I will be getting an external DAC in the future, because I'm caring less and less about the gaming benefits of a sound card, and to really compare the two.

I would recommend you try it out for a while, if there are noise issues, then consider the "upgrade". People around here say that the DAC makes the least impact when upgrading: Headphones > Amp > DAC in order of how to change the sound most per dollar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back