Is amping A900s a waste?
Dec 14, 2005 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering a paid of A900s yet I already have a Super Macro 3 amp. Would I get any benefit at all from using the amp with the 900s? Thanks all.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 9
Even the humble KSC75 benefits from an amp. You've already got a nice amp, so use it
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 9
I wouldn't get rid of the amp but I wouldn't expect a very noticable improvement, unless you're EQing the bass right up, either.

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't really think my AD900 changes all that much (and they are very similar cans) when I move them from a weaker source to a more powerful one. It's this reason that makes me think the ATH A and AD series would make great travel cans if you don't mind letting them have their own suitcase. That efficiency comes out to less equipment you need and batteries you kill.

Still, use that amp and see what you think. My impression when I moved them from my PCDP headphone out to a real receiver, the sound felt a little 'fuller', and maybe you will, too
smily_headphones1.gif
. But really no less dynamic. I'm still surprised at how good they are out of my PCDP.

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Its amazing how detailed and nice my AD2000 sounds out of the ipod out. can't comment on the amp though, but hopefully will be able to in a bit....

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 9
I didn't expect much difference when I connected my A900s to my PPA, and I didn't notice anything immediately obvious. However, when I switched back to the same source unamped after months of listening with an amp, I did notice a very minor degradation in sound quality, but nothing major. This surprised me, because I wasn't expecting any difference. I still couldn't tell any difference in back to back comparisons, but it just sounded ever so slightly different during long listening session without the amp.

I would say an amp is not worth it, you'd be better off spending the money on nicer headphones. You can always buy an amp for them later.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 9
I have the A900 connected to a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro and its plenty loud even when the software controlled volume is set very low. When I tried connecting it to my amp, I didn't notice any benefit. So IMO it depends on your source.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Another way of looking at it....

If your amp "colors" the sound any in a way that you find favorable... then Certainly the A900 should sound better amped, if the amp does nothing more than color the sound.

Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to my Millet more for its tube coloration than anything else.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back