Is all this worth it?
Nov 15, 2002 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JVOBIKER

Head-Fier
I have an 10GB iPod and I am currently using Koss KSC-35s. I listen to mostly punk, heavy metal and some rap (pretty much just eminem). I am planning on getting the Sony V6's and was considering a Super- Mini Amp V3.0 from fixup.net. I really need closed headphones because I listen to my music mostly on the subway and I hate how I can still hear the loud sounds coming from the train. I also feel bad when I play my music and the people sitting next to me have to be bothered by it. I was just wondering if there will actually be a noticable sound difference. Firstly, will the Sony V6s sound better than the KSC-35s (without amp) and then how much better will they sound with the amp? Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 8
The V6 will isolate much better.

In my opinion, however, they can't touch the KSC-35's sound. The Koss is fast, punchy, and engaging. The V6 is slow, lifeless, and sounds plasticky (instruments sound synthesized, voices are hollow.) The V6's highs are harsher than the KSC-35's. The V6s go really, really deep, though, and their lows are tactile in a way the KSC-35's only dream of.

Sonically, it's like comparing a Mac-10 to an elephant gun.

The V6 doesn't benefit much from amping. It'll clear up a bit, but it's still dreadfully closed-in sounding and nothing can dull that edge in the highs. I wouldn't bother getting an amp just for the Sony.

Nov 15, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Well, in my opinion the V6's sound way better than the Koss phones. They isolate nicely as well. I don't think you need an amp to run them, I don't use one, but it will only add to the sound.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 8
i actually dont have an opinion on either phone

i just want to commend you for being considerate to your neighbors on the subway. guys like me appreciate it.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
i actually dont have an opinion on either phone

i just want to commend you for being considerate to your neighbors on the subway. guys like me appreciate it.

I just turn my Koss Portapros off when I get on a subway cause I don't like to bother people (mainly because I hate being bothered by people with headphones on but playing them like speakers), and I can't hear it all that well anyway before the phones start to distort from the louder-than-capable-of-playing volume, at least with a portable MD recorder.

BTW, J5 is great.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, I'd recommend you go to bestbuy.com and purchase the Ixos MOS DJ1001: best high sensitivity closed headphone ever made. You'll never need an amp for it and the highs are much prettier than either the Koss or Sony, both of which I'm familiar with.

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Well, I'd recommend you go to bestbuy.com and purchase the Ixos MOS DJ1001: best high sensitivity closed headphone ever made.

Reticuli, I know we're talking apples and oranges, but you even prefer these over the Etymotic's?
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Hmmm...I think I will still get these headphones but my enthusiasm for them has greatly diminished. I thought I would here a very noticeable difference in sound. Not anymore though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back