Is a Xonar DX strong enough to drive Sennheiser HD598's? Or should I look at the STX?
May 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rfvijn

New Head-Fier
I'm both impressed and unimpressed with my Ear Force DSS.  It is a fantastic driver, and it's implementation of Dolby Headphone works great.  However, its lack of ability to adjust settings or switch to DH-1 really bothers me.  For example, DH-2 causes horrible echo/reverb when using Skype.

I'm considering for the same price as the DSS ($80) to return it and buy a Xonar DX instead.  However, I'm reading conflicting reports on its ability to properly drive headphones.  In my case they will be Sennheiser HD598's.  Thoughts?

I could always get a small desktop/headphone amp, but I really don't like having multiple volume controls (blame it on my OCD).  If this were the case, I've read I would use the amp's volume dial and set the Xonar to 76%.  A way around this would be to get the Essence STX which has a plenty powerful amp for HD598's and can be had for $150.  But how much better is the sound than the DX?

This is starting to cost more than I would like to spend (not unaffordable, but what was just a new headset is growing into a project 
beyersmile.png
).  So here are my options from what I would like the best...to worst.  Thoughts?
  • Get a Xonar DX and it is plenty powerful for a pair of HD598's.  Total cost $50-80.
  • Get a Xonar DX and a headphone amp if needed.  I would probably even make it myself if I can't find a simple one I like for ~$50.  Total cost ~$100-$120.
  • Get an Essence STX and be done with it for a total cost of $150.

Thank you all for your help. I've been Googling all night and have read multiple posts, but I still felt the need to make this post.  I also bolded the key points to make it easier for those with ADD like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back