1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Is a new ear impression required for every custom IEM I buy?

1. balu_613
    This is an issue that puzzles me.

I bought a JH13 Pro from JH Audio in 2009. When I called JH Audio a couple of years later to order a JH16, I was surprised to learn that though they had my ear impressions from my previous order, I'll have to send them a new set of impressions. When I asked why they can't use the impressions that were used for the earlier order, I was told that those impressions may not be accurate anymore since the shape (and size?) of our ears change with age. I can understand that being true for younger people, but does that apply to everyone? If that is true, I am wondering why people are willing to pay $1000 - $2000 for custom fit monitors that may be no better (if not worse) than universal fits in a couple of years. Anyway, I tried my JH13 on today and found that it appears to fit as well as it used to ...

2. JAG87
    Your ear and nose never stop growing. I found that my JH16 made with 2011 impressions are quite a bit smaller and looser fitting than my Roxanne made with 2014 impressions. And regarding your other thought about people buying CIEMs, you can always get a refit down the road. It's not difficult to add a thin layer of acrylic to tighten the fit.