Is 300b the ultimate?
Mar 31, 2006 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

hugz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all

On the scale of things I'd have to say I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to amps, but i've heard almost consistantly good things about amps based on the 300b tube. Infact, a lot of the good things i've read basically puts the 300b as being the best tube.

I'm somewhat planning my future setup at the moment since it's getting within my grasp. The speakers will be a pair of rear loaded horn speakers (high efficiency), and for a power amp I'm thinking that maybe I should use some 300b monoblocks with somewhere between 3-15w.

Is the 300b really the ultimate? I really dont like upgrading very much so if possible i'd like to get something that wont leave me thinking "if only i got the ___ instead".

Also, are 300b good in relatively low power output situations? Like i said, I really only want somewhere betwen 3-15w

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Direct heated triodes are the best. I'd take a 45 or a 2A3 over a 300B, though.

Even better than WE 300B ???

Best!
Nicola

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Even better than WE 300B ???

Best!
Nicola

I dunno... Make a $900 45 and well do some tuberolling
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I dunno... Make a $900 45 and well do some tuberolling
biggrin.gif

After paid that 900$ for the WE 300B I don't think any other tuberolling will be possible for me...
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
After paid that 900$ for the WE 300B I don't think any other tuberolling will be possible for me...
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

You'll just have to sell some headphones
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 32
so many factors...

It's like asking what is your favorite color, flavor ice cream or car. Etc...

Or better yet what mood you are in on a particular day because some days you may want a 2A3 or 300B sound. Or the music you are listening to might influence your tube decision too.

But the 2A3, 300B, and 45 are all highly regarded as are many other tubes as well.

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
tongue.gif

Best!
Nicola

I told ya Nik, you should try those EAT 300B. You may be very well surprised.

About 300Bs, in my rather long experience with tubes, what makes these one exceptional is their ability to convey and truly respect the original sound as it was recorded down to the faintest harmonics. There's a mix of transparency, textures and details that can be absolutely breathtaking. This go beyond the usual bass, midrange and treble talk; this is when you can be fooled that what you're listening is real.

DHTs are also famous for being ultra-linear with very low coloration. There's IMO a false idea that 300B are only a "magic midrange" tube, kind of "tubey" sound with rolled-off bass and highs. This is absolutely not true. They are much less "tubey" sounding than most of more 'modern' pentodes and tetrode tubes i had (strapped in triode). The EAT 300B i have now since 18 months give me a bass response that is hard to believe...pumping and slamming kick drum that can put to shame the fastest transistor with again, a textured sound like solid-state can only dream of...IMO
icon10.gif

Seriously there's only one drawback about 300Bs, you can be seriously addicted and this is not good for the wallet if you need 50+ watts for speakers. Myself i stood away from 300B for many many years because the usual speaker amps were only about a dozen of watts, not enough for most speakers. Now 'cause of this damn 300B preamp i'm completely spoiled about any other tubes...I cannot be happy now with the brave EL34, can i?

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastergill
I told ya Nik, you should try those EAT 300B. You may be very well surprised.

About 300Bs, in my rather long experience with tubes, what makes these one exceptional is their ability to convey and truly respect the original sound as it was recorded down to the faintest harmonics. There's a mix of transparency, textures and details that can be absolutely breathtaking. This go beyond the usual bass, midrange and treble talk; this is when you can be fooled that what you're listening is real.

DHTs are also famous for being ultra-linear with very low coloration. There's IMO a false idea that 300B are only a "magic midrange" tube, kind of "tubey" sound with rolled-off bass and highs. This is absolutely not true. They are much less "tubey" sounding than most of more 'modern' pentodes and tetrode tubes i had (strapped in triode). The EAT 300B i have now since 18 months give me a bass response that is hard to believe...pumping and slamming kick drum that can put to shame the fastest transistor with again, a textured sound like solid-state can only dream of...IMO
icon10.gif

Seriously there's only one drawback about 300Bs, you can be seriously addicted and this is not good for the wallet if you need 50+ watts for speakers. Myself i stood away from 300B for many many years because the usual speaker amps were only about a dozen of watts, not enough for most speakers. Now 'cause of this damn 300B preamp i'm completely spoiled about any other tubes...I cannot be happy now with the brave EL34, can i?

Yes, Mastregill, I'll try even those EAT 300B and compare them with the WE.

Best!
Nicola

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 32
I use these in my 300B speaker amp

tj300bmesh1.jpg

have tried it with headphones and for me at least the 2A3/6G4B whips it in overall clarity and imaging while at speaker levels the opposite is true for me.the 300b just sounds more ponderus with cans which is even more noticeable in direct comparison with 2A3's which seems to open up the sound like someone opened a window and let some air in.The 45 I personally find underpowered for headphones unless in a SEPP or PP topology

bottom line,I always said DHT kicks any IHT power triode a*s for headphones just damn expensive

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 32
The current top of the heap, for big tube sound, in headphone amps is the 6B33C tube. It was developed for the Mig fighter jet and is as big as a can of beer with a bohemouth sound to match. I have the 300B and the 2A3 but the 6C33B in the Zana beats them all easily.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Yes, Mastregill, I'll try even those EAT 300B and compare them with the WE.

Best!
Nicola

I've also heard great things about the most recent revision of Svetlana's 300Bs.

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 32
To me, the most important part of the design of a tube amp (whether SE or PP) is the power supply. The amp's ability to flow with the attack and decay of musical notes is dependent on a well-designed HT supply circuit. This is were most commerical products are compromised. Which is why many people resort to DIY when using these type of tubes. Otherwise you spend several thousands of dollars on a decent amp.

This means a separate power supply chassis; separate power supplies for the different stages, DC on the filaments for low noise; and well filtered B+ with lots of chokes. All this adds to cost, weight and size.

And then you need to design a pretty good circuit for the output tube of choice. In essence, I would take a well-designed pentode amp over a poorly designed 300B amp. The 300B has a wonderful character if you design a circuit that brings it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
The 45 I personally find underpowered for headphones unless in a SEPP or PP topology

Could you please expand on this. I am currently drafting a couple of schematics for a DIY headamp using either the 45 or 71A in differential PP (balanced input to output).

With the 71A, that's 1.4W and the 45 4W. The 45 in SE would put out 1.8-2W. But, from your comment it would seem 2W is not enough.

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 32
I got a tube lesson last Friday when I visited a local manufacturer or ultra-high end SETs. He was a big believer in directly heated triodes. His ultimate tube choice for now is the 211 but he does make a 300b which is what we listened to and I was blown away. 211's he says are even better, purer etc, but the magical warmth and midrange that the 300b is known for may get lost by going 45, 2a3 or 211.

I think for me, it would depend on the speakers, the levels I want to listen at and the sound I want. I think Moth used to make a killer 300b that could handle 2a3's, just swap and go. That would be a wonderful feature, not sure about an amp that could handle a 45 though and a 300b...

That said, for now, until I hear better, I want to go with a 300b. The Cary 300SEI seems to be a killer bargain. A decently powered amp, with a bipassable preamp (??? maybe I'm off) an incredible headphone section and backed up by one of the best customer service agreements in all of Audio. Seems a good way to jump into the foray for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back