iRobot cleaning 'bots
Sep 25, 2006 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any experience with iRobot cleaning 'bots? Do these things actually perform as advertised? We live in a 4000 sq ft house and some automated cleaning help would be good. My wife says she's heard good things about them. We're considering both the Roomba and Scooba models.

Sep 25, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 11
I've been looking into those too. I just keep thinking I would step on them all the time....
Did you know there is also a model (different manufacurer I believe) that can mow your lawn? I don't have a lawn any more (moved to an apartment) but I would just love to not have to mow my lawn any more (if I still had one).

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm holding out for the Cherry 2000 model:

cherry.jpg

Wrt the ROOMBA and it's variants, dunno. I have a difficult time believing it can handle a cluttered layout very well.

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I've got two Roomba Discovery SEs that I've had for about 2 years. They aren't bad, but they aren't the be all and end all of vacuum cleaners. We've got a long hair dog, and while they do a good job of picking up the majority of the hair, it's really a lot more than they can handle. I'd say they are really nice for the occasional touchup work though.

For small bits of stuff I'll pull one out and put it in spot mode. I moved up to a Dyson this past spring. THAT is a vacuum that really blows the doors off of the rest. It's not terribly light, and it's not the cheapest on the market, but it's well worth the investment. Sucks up everything in it's path, and never slows down. My only gripe with it, is that I have to empty the chamber a fair amount due to the large quantities of dog hair. On the flip side, it pulls up stuff out other vacuums have missed. (roomba, and a regular eureka that this replaced)

As far as roomba ability to handle clutered rooms, they do a decent job. I wouldn't call our rooms cluttered, at least not with debris, but the furniture layout is not an easy one to navigate. It doesn't necessarily take the most effecient pass, but it does get the whole room. It's also nice for getting under beds and couches without the hassle of doing it yourself. If you're just looking for a daily upkeep cleaner, you'll probably be happy. don't make it your main one though.

I don't have any experience with the Scooba because it's not compatible with all flooring types. We've got flooring that isn't on the approved list, and didn't want to mess with anytyhing.

good luck
-Jeff

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I was going to get one for my dorm (five other guys, few with any real sense of hygiene), saw the price ($300), decided that using the free vacuum was a better idea. Then realized that I've spent more on headphones than that in 3 months and was very depressed for awhile. I swear it was a good minute or so
very_evil_smiley.gif

In any case from what I've read about the design it does help a lazy person clean up some dust, dirt and small debris. Just don't count on it doing a perfect cleaning job (not that everyone always does a perfect cleaning job...). Also, I have heard it's not too good with thick carpets. It primarily uses agitation with brushes, and that's not too useful for cleaning old crap out of thick carpets.

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 11
From what you guys are saying, it sounds it may work for us. It's mainly for upkeep and picking up dust and small stuff from hardwood and carpet.

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 11
This is the best (and basically only) vacuum cleaner forum on the internet. There are some people on here that are crazy in love with vacuum cleaners. Some are very biased of course but you can get some great info.

Just search around and make a thread if necessary. Good luck!

http://www.whatsthebest-vacuum.com/c...ard=wtb-vacuum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back