iRiver350 picture released @ www.iriver.com
Nov 19, 2001 at 6:23 AM Post #16 of 40
[QUOTE
i'm sure the iriver 350 will also be very expensive.... metal lid, LCD remote, thin nimH/li-ion rechargeables...plus extra $$$ for the sweet design (comming from a D-ej01 owner
smily_headphones1.gif
)... it will definately be priced in line with mid-range MD or HD based players... ][/QUOTE]

Rrp is $199...about $20 more than the entry level sony mzr500 md here in Australia. I would expect that price to fall to around $150 3-4 months after release. Your 3.5" fdd will go the way of 5.25" drives in the next 2 years, so you will most likely have a cdrw on your next pc.

As much as I would like a minidisc player for their compact size, most people seem to consider a cd player with optical output best for recording...so the added expenses begin to outweigh the convenience.

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:31 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

As much as I would like a minidisc player for their compact size, most people seem to consider a cd player with optical output best for recording...so the added expenses begin to outweigh the convenience.

And I suppose a full blown computer is a cheaper expense? Given MP3s MUST have a computer as the source? Remember, when you buy an MD recorder, you're not stuck having to transfer data...you can take that thing and go record the sounds of concerts, lectures, bees, flies, bazookas, nukes, whatever you want!
biggrin.gif
If it's a SOUND, it can go onto MDs. The fact that Sony just began sticking those data transfer kits with their recorders is a total bonus that was never needed to begin with.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Oh why must I be drawn into these MP3 vs. MD discussions...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
And I suppose a full blown computer is a cheaper expense?

My point exactly... why not make use of those resources already available...I assume that you (and 99% of the people who frequent this place) own or have ready access to a "full blown computer."
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 40
Ahh, but then you realize most of today's soundcards have optical outputs...so why not make use of those resources and just record MDs from there, whether it be MP3s or from a CDROM using a digital cable between it and the soundcard?
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:48 AM Post #20 of 40
Mp3/CD is the only Mp3 hardware that even begins to attempt to compete with MD technology in terms of convenience and features.

The thing is you are comparing technophiles with audiophiles. Technophiles that play with encoders and burners and probably have CDRW and use computers very well will think Mp3/CD is more convenient. People who have any players with digital out or would like to do ANY analog or live recording would prefer MD.

Also the issue most people like to gloss over is...its easier to put Mp3's they "borrowed" burned onto CD's, than record CD's they don't own onto MD's.

If you are using MP3/MD for archiving and listening to your collection on the go...IMO MD is much better. Mp3 is better when you want to listen to other peoples collection on the go.

I wouldn't mind either, I have both a computer with burner, and equipment with digital outs. I would get MD's first cause they are actually higher bang for the buck IMO and more convenient assuming you are listening to YOUR collection and not someone elses. Anyone who thinks MP3 technology is higher bang for the buck...hasn't compared there 3 inch thick plastic honky made in china Mp3 player with questionable headphone jack quality to something like an affordable Sharp or Sony MD recorder.

I love how they package a lot of Mp3/CD players in blister packs LOL...they put one half of the CD player above the cardboard labeling...and the other half behind and then call it "ultra-thin".

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:58 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Ahh, but then you realize most of today's soundcards have optical outputs...

Well not really... a soundcard such as you have described is about $50. Id rather deduct that from the purchase price of the imp350.
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 7:05 AM Post #22 of 40
You know, you guys are making some pretty valid points... who needs optical out on CD players when you can just use Xitel's DG2 or a sound card optical out to get mp3s (or whatever... heck, this way I wouldn't even have to worry about firmware upgrades for MP3Pro) onto minidiscs. That's a pretty good solution if you have a computer!
I guess I don't need an MP3 CD Player after all! Although Tim's very right... my "borrowed" mp3 collection weighs in at 23 gigs (5 years at a university with 100 bt ethernet will do that to you)... wouldn't be good to archive them on minidisc
smily_headphones1.gif
Both for the amount of time it would take and the the number of minidiscs. I'm actually deleting all my mp3's and purchasing my favorite music in order to really enjoy minidisc and my Etys... although I'm not sure if I can really tell the difference, I enjoy pretending that I can.

Nov 19, 2001 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 40
Yes, ultimately the problem for me is that I've been going back to buying music totally...I used to download MP3s and bought into MDs as a way to get high quality free music, but ever since I went back to buying CDs, I haven't downloaded an MP3 for a good 6 months. I'd go with discmans except I really think they're too bulky in this day and age, and I don't want to risk my CD collection on the road. Given that, I'd especially stick with MDs so that I can just record CDs straight over to an MD and then run off with that, and retain the highest quality possible. I don't even bother using MDLP anymore...I just rerecord over one MD over and over as I get new CDs.

Nov 19, 2001 at 7:32 AM Post #24 of 40
My only beef is price. IMO MD has a much much better price/performance ratio. I don't WANT to blow $200 bucks on a portable when...what...I could pay maybe $100 more for a Sony SACD home player that probably weighs 20 pounds at Good Guys.

So when I go portable...I WANT cheap. Especially knowing that its sound performance is going to be sub-par I wouldn't want to blow 2/3rds the cost of a Sony SACD player on a portable that probably sounds 1/3rd as good.

So I look at the cheap MD players...than look at cheap Mp3 players...and there is no question in my mind which beats what at a lower price point.

When I look at portables I just happen to like sub $100. I just find it amusing how many people pay so much for portables only for crappy earbuds anyways, and consider it crazy when you buy something like Ety's.

Portable = higher exposure to damage, subpar quality compared to home setup. I don't really want to devote too much $$$ into this category of equipment.

Fry's was selling the Sharp MT-15S for $70 bucks awhile back.

A. Sharp MT-15S ($70) + ER6 canalphones ($150+?)....

or

B. $200 buck Mp3 player + $40 buck earbud/headphone...

If person who bought setup A, showed the person who bought setup B their setup...the person with setup B would cry.

Nov 19, 2001 at 11:23 AM Post #25 of 40
I just saw the pic of the 350s remote on the site. It is gorgeous... I can't beleive I'm saying this, but I am going to buy this thing. The remote looks like it will hold the AA batteries I think. I don't like the SlimX label they paste all over it though.

I'm glad they don't have a preorder system or I would succumb to these 5AM delusions. Why are things so enticing at 5 AM?
Back to working on my final research paper at the University of Texas! Less than a month before I graduate!! Woohoo!

Nov 19, 2001 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 40
i know for the fact that the orginal riovolt sp100 and the iriver100 was manufactured by AVC Soul......im just wondering if the iriver350 is also manufactured by AVC Soul?

....btw, did somebody open thier riovolt/iriver unit up? [just curious.... whats the component inside of a mp3/cd player looks like.. and how does it recognize mp3 n turn into sound?

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #28 of 40
I'm sorry but the pics look like concept pics more than actual product pics. Even the TDK Mojo pre-production pics made the player out to be absolutely gorgeous when reality it was just a plasticy player like any other, and they looked more "polished" than these Iriver pics I'm seeing.

Even the "side" shot of this new I-river doesn't even match up with the top-side picture. The side-shot looking more like a Sony-style slim CD player. The remote pic looks DRAWN...correction it IS drawn(I've done some flash before, you can see that reducing flash graphics quality reduces the quality of the remote pic). Is this going to another player that just looks nice in dreamland?

I mean the side shot shows a headphone jack, remote jack, and line-out jack (lol the words line-out look drawn in). I actually like that design because you can have a good remote control without sound degradation with either jack...but have big doubts that the finished product will be anywhere close.

Anyone got more "real" pics?

Nov 19, 2001 at 7:09 PM Post #29 of 40
Tim,
Shut up! I mean it!
mad.gif

Let us live in our fantasy world with slimx cd players with optical outs and cool looking remotes! Why do you want to lower our expectations now when you can say "I told you so" when we receive this potential PoS.
Yeah... that line out does look drawn in.
frown.gif

I wonder if they just took a picture of a sony model, applied a blur filter in photoshop and added a few words on the player...
suddenly the phrase "sorry sony" makes more sense!

Nov 19, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #30 of 40
lol.gif

Sorry couldn't resist.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back