iRiver SlimX 550 -- "true" line-out?
Apr 26, 2004 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Coalescent

Head-Fier
I've been reading up on various things in the forum and came across something that distressed me. I've not been able to find anything that explained the difference, but apparently some PCDPs have a pseudo line-out, while others have a "true" line-out.

Can anyone tell me if the iRiver SlimX 550 has a "true" line out or not? Is there anything in the specs section of the manual that might enlighten me on this point? I'd like to use it with a dedicated headphone amp that I'll be buying soon.

Thanks,

-Chad

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't use lineout on my imp, but I think its a true line out when you turn the volume to the max (40 i think.) At least that's how it is on the ihp series (I belive.)

Other then that, I find it to have very nice sound. I think it's even better then my ipod... but that's proberbly because I use redbook cds with my imp while I use mp3s on the iPod
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 8
No. It does not have a true line out, and only at 40 volume (which you are supposed to set it to) can you really call it a line out. But listening to the iMP versus the new Sony players and also some other devices recently, in terms of perceived SNR for the Line Out I think it's on a par with some of the 'classic' PCDP's, both well regarded and not so.

Sound is more subjective of course... I think it's usable, and on a a similar level with some of the more mediocre line-outs of the players out there, both 'classic' and not.

I would point you in the direction of an iPod & a Line Out cable if you want a definitively 'truer' Line Out for amping.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 8
the imp550 and everything below it do not hav real line out. i dont know about the newer models which hasent been release yet, except the imp450 did.

for my imp400, when i turn the EQ to normal and turn the volume to 40 max, the eq settings no longer apply to the sound. i use the line out, its not bad, not great as some other expensive players. beside the line out, imp players offer features none other pcd players does......which i find useful atleast.

Apr 27, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Okay, I looked up my iRiver online and found that they have a PDF version of my manual for download. Apparently the optical out port is also a line-out, which the specs sheet states operates at 0.76V RMS (47K ohm) max volume.

Seems to me that would qualify as a "true" line-out port. Wouldn't it? What are the technical requirements of a "true" line-out?

-Chad

Apr 29, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 8
It can be considered a Line Out in terms of output as I said when at 40. I think the iRiver output is actually more or less the bare minimum that can be called Line Out, and I don't think it's below what many other players deliver. As for whether it's 'true' or not depends on how you consider the wiring-up of Line Outs.

The iRiver's EQ affects Line Out, so there is the wonder at how the signal routing is taking place. That's what raises questions over it's 'trueness' more than anything else in my opinion. The electrical output may be line, but in terms of sound comparison, is it line? I'd say it's on a par with distinctly mediocre 'classic' PCDP's like the D-25S.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
It can be considered a Line Out in terms of output as I said when at 40. I think the iRiver output is actually more or less the bare minimum that can be called Line Out, and I don't think it's below what many other players deliver. As for whether it's 'true' or not depends on how you consider the wiring-up of Line Outs.

The iRiver's EQ affects Line Out, so there is the wonder at how the signal routing is taking place. That's what raises questions over it's 'trueness' more than anything else in my opinion. The electrical output may be line, but in terms of sound comparison, is it line? I'd say it's on a par with distinctly mediocre 'classic' PCDP's like the D-25S.

So it's less a concern of the actual output characteristics of the line-out jack itself, and more a concern of the internal signal routing? So concerns over whether or not a player has a "true" line-out deal with internal signal integrity--it doesn't pass through any EQ/etc. circuitry before hitting the line-out jack?

Thanks for replying. I've got a better idea of how everyone's defining true vs. non-true line-out now.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back