Apr 7, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 21
May
On-the-fly File Delete
Real Shuffle Mode

June
On-the-fly Playlist
Gapless Playback

Let's hope they keep to thier word.

...And that they eliminate the 52-character limit for dB scans (duh!)

Apr 7, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Megaman
Check this out:

http://www.iriver.com/community/disc...name=&p_group=

So by June the IHP is gonna be just perfect!

Sweet! Upgradeable Firmware is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 21
"On-the-fly File Delete" ?

Does this mean being able to delete files on the drive without connecting to the PC?

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Not to sound like a deek or anything, but I'll believe it when I see it. You'll all have to forgive me if I seem a bit suspicious or untrusting when it comes to what Iriver has to say. Looking at their web site now, it's just the biggest goof and mess of a site.

I now know what Austonia was complaining about when he said he couldn't find the firmware updates. The site has changed a little bit and it's totally unorganized. No news section, no updates section, and information strewn about like a mentally challenged person put it together.

As far as the post about the updates goes, I wouldn't put it past some person to fake a post by iriver and make such a joke. On top of that, IF this really is genuine, I'm STILL not getting my panties all moist. Let's see if the features are even implamented correctly. Yes...trust me...there's a way to screw it up.

On a positive note, if it's real, it's about time. But there's still NO excuse for their behavior..what makes NO sense to me is, if you're a company who is constantly getting flak for things, and your customers are ALWAYS complaining, WHY, if you know that you're going to address the issues, would you wait until the last minute to finally say that you're taking action ? I would think that the right thing to do, would be to make sure that the people never get to the point of where they're constantly arguing and complaining.

So...w/e. Good luck to all of us.

*jumping inside of self waiting for gapless*

P.S. So bangraman, with this in mind, you still selling it ?

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Megaman
So by June the IHP is gonna be just perfect!

Does the firmware enlarge the usable space on the display and change the shape of the joystick?
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Not to sound like a deek or anything, but I'll believe it when I see it. You'll all have to forgive me if I seem a bit suspicious or untrusting when it comes to what Iriver has to say. Looking at their web site now, it's just the biggest goof and mess of a site.

I now know what Austonia was complaining about when he said he couldn't find the firmware updates. The site has changed a little bit and it's totally unorganized. No news section, no updates section, and information strewn about like a mentally challenged person put it together.

As far as the post about the updates goes, I wouldn't put it past some person to fake a post by iriver and make such a joke. On top of that, IF this really is genuine, I'm STILL not getting my panties all moist. Let's see if the features are even implamented correctly. Yes...trust me...there's a way to screw it up.

On a positive note, if it's real, it's about time. But there's still NO excuse for their behavior..what makes NO sense to me is, if you're a company who is constantly getting flak for things, and your customers are ALWAYS complaining, WHY, if you know that you're going to address the issues, would you wait until the last minute to finally say that you're taking action ? I would think that the right thing to do, would be to make sure that the people never get to the point of where they're constantly arguing and complaining.

So...w/e. Good luck to all of us.

*jumping inside of self waiting for gapless*

P.S. So bangraman, with this in mind, you still selling it ?

Why don't you trust iRiver?
I can't remember a time when they said they will implant something and didn't do it.

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 21
this is stuff that really should have been implemented from the start. most competing players allready offer these rather basic functions. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. If they don't deliver, iRiver will certainly go on my shtlist. If they do, well, better late then never. It took Creative a year and half to get the NJB3's firmware perfected, and it still has a few minor flaws.

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Why don't you trust iRiver?

Did you actually READ my post, or are you just proving that you know how to quote something ?

I do not trust anything that is not officially posted as a news letter. The announcement came to us via the forums, which in its self is a total cluster F. I know that we're supposed to believe that iriver uses a blue font to represent their screen name, but again, forgive me if I don't trust something I see on that forum.

Why don't I trust them ? It's the way they choose to conduct their business. I know...how many companies have forums bla bla bla...But here's what people never seem to get.

If your company has an official web site with on going updates for products, and official forum with a "SUGGESTIONS" section and a 'MISSION STATEMENT" which claims that the company exists to do everything in its power to please the customer, and then totally ignores all of the above, how would you expect your customers to react ? Oh..right..they never bother to inquire, hence the not caring part. Sorry, if they have the power to communicate to the public, they should do so at least once every few months just to say what may or may not be going on.

Nope. don't trust em. And let's say that this is good to go, don't think for a second, that if they didn't have new products comming out, that these features would even be mentioned.

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 21
Now if they could only add FLAC support...the first portable hard drive player with a digital out and FLAC (or other lossless, just not WAV) will be a BIG deal to me. And of course gapless playback. I might even buy two if they could just add FLAC!

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 21
Some thoughts of mine Sweet Spot:

My gripes aren't with those specific issues although they are important functions I was missing on the iHP. It's the user interface and the usability in general. To paraphrase austonia in his recent outburst, I'm an industrial designer with a number of very successful (and extremely mission-critical) human-interface projects under my belt so What do I know about product and interface design?
tongue.gif
To me the iHP is a jack of all trades. It does everything while doing nothing particularly well.

Sound quality isn't really an issue here since it's good enough for portable use and in general terms the difference with the iPod in terms of overall clarity is small... and many people like playing with the sound to excess.

As it stands, the Smart Playlists in MC aren't smart enough when dealing with a library that's going to be a lot bigger than any hard disk player. However I do like the on-the-fly transcode that is possible with MC... it means I can store in FLAC for home use and transcode to MP3 as necessary. I'd have to run tests on that transcode time. But then of course MC will/does offer iPod support too.

My problem is that I certainly could wait until iRiver releases partial remedies to these issues that I consider deficient and I could wait for MC10 to go alpha with full iHP support, but by then I suspect the H300 will be out... Not to mention other players.

The iHP is therefore still for sale and I'm sticking with the NJB3 as a recorder and the iPod as a player.

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 21
K. That makes sense. I wonder, what would you ask of the J.River devs to make MC more playlist friedly in terms of having really good smartlist capabilities ? I rarely use them, but if I was enticed by some real innovation, I might just be willing to explore the feature more.

Yeah, I'm basically asking you to tell me what I should ask for of them.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I know the basics, but I don't want to just hit them with a 'iTunes can do this, and MC can't" kind of thing. I want to be more specific.

Apr 7, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 21
That could be interesting. I can certainly write up what I find usable about iTunes and what I find less usable about jRiver.

The only potential problem is of course that Apple is prone to making use of those gentlemen with thin suits, thin lips, thin watches and thin briefcases on any alleged duplication of any of what they consider their own...

Apr 7, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 21
Maybe, maybe not...I don't think they've 'officially coined' the Playlist feature and all functions that may exist within
smily_headphones1.gif

The Rio Karma is a good example. I think they'd have been hauled in if that was the case. The Karma has very similar smart playlist features and I think even some which go beyond the iPods. Can a Karma user confirm this..perhaps someone who owns both ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back