iRiver misses thier May release schedule for iHP firmware
Jun 1, 2004 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
you may remember iRiver scheduled some new firmware for May and June. Having said nothing during all of May, with no firmware, finally in June they inform us that they didn't make the May release. thanks, guys!

official thread HERE

all they were going to add in May was "Random Playback" and "Delete Tracks" ... nothing too crazy. Creative has had this since.. uh.. 2002. Rio since last year. iPod has random since 2001 but they don't think you're smart enough to delete tracks in a responsible manor, so that's a no-can-do. Dell DJ can allready do these, and Gateway's player.. and Xcelf... did I miss anybody?

Jun 1, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 11
It's a shame, but I don't really care about these two features. The random shuffle works fine for me at the moment. Hopefully they will implete all features in one big upgrade (with gapless and playlists on-the-fly).

It could do with the recording and database inadequacies looking at too, but they are currently livable with. With the 300 series due soon I think all these features will need to be in place before its release. This is the real incentive for iRiver to get the firmware sorted.

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 11
After just opening the packaging on my new iHP-120 yesterday, I got it upgraded to 1.4 Firmware, and I began loading up 50 or so songs so far!
rolleyes.gif
Tediuos....
rolleyes.gif
Ha!

I will be anxious to load the newest firmware.

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 11
I don't see why you've bothered listing all the other players that can do these things. There are tricks the iRiver has that other players don't have too. No one machine has it all, as you should know from all your research.

I'm looking forward to the new features when they come, but so much of the player works fine for me already that I'm too busy enjoying the music to be checking for updates. As Big D says, gapless is really an important one.

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by winty
As Big D says, gapless is really an important one.

Giddy Up!! Gapless!!! For the 'live' albums!!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Is it perfectly safe to update the firmware even with like 8gb of sogns loaded? This sounds newbish, but for some reason I'm worried
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Is it perfectly safe to update the firmware even with like 8gb of sogns loaded? This sounds newbish, but for some reason I'm worried
confused.gif

you can update the firmware at any time

it won't bother the player at all

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 11
hey guys,

i am thinking of buying the ihp-140, but saw on their site that they are just about to realease a new player with a cool colour screen, the iRiver H300.

I'm not to fussed about the new one but was wondering if i wait a bit until i buy, will the ihp-140 go down in price after the new one is released?

Just wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom, I hate it when you buy something and it shoots down in price. i have heard that lots of ihp owners had that happen to them early in its release.

Also have any of you heard anything about the new iRiver H300, does it look good?

The main thing i am looking for in my player is good sounds quality, I have been trying to read about all the different types of encoding and stuff. it's all a bit complicated but i am getting somewhere. From what i have read, how good the tracks sounds is up to how i encode them. what format and bitrate, etc... but i may be way off. any tips on this would be greatly recieved,

Thanks,

ferg

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 11
You'd assume that they'd stop making the iHP-120/140 series when the H300 comes out.... why they put a colour screen on it is beyond me, UNLESS its OLED which will eat less power than a backlid greyscale screen (like the one atm) - anything to save battery power.

Also, it's gonna have USB-on the go.. omg how awesome is it? swap songs from H300 to H300....

Also, regarding the firmware, the non random shuffle is beginning to piss me off... i mean big time >< - Come on iRiver, you can do better than this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back