iRiver imp-700 vs. imp-150 impressions
May 26, 2004 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been having some problems lately with my imp-150 (trouble reading CD's) and wanted a replacement. Since I like the iRiver sound I thought I try the new imp-700. Ordered one two days ago and I just got it in the mail today.

I'm not impressed very much. The soundquality is not as good as the imp-150. It's brighter( considerably less bass and more treble), thinner and it has that anti-skip veil. The imp-150 has the option of 10sec. anti-skip, the imp-700 begins at 40sec. Both the line-out as the headphone out suffer the same quality loss.

The EQ is even more basic than the imp-150. It only has bass and treble boost. The imp-150 also has bass and treble corner freq. 50, 100 and 200hz bass. 2, 4, 7 Khz treble.

The buildquality is a lot cheaper. It's very plasticy and you can see the inside easy due to the light that's getting in through openings on the outside. The little round thingy where you put the CD's on is made entirely out of plastic. It looks like it can break more easily than the one in the imp-150 which has metal components where that round thingy moves when you put on or remove a CD.

imp-700 pros:
-Goes louder 2x7mw vs. 2x12mw. (14 out of 40 on imp-150 is 10 out of 40 on imp-700) So might be better if you need the extra volume with less sensitive cans.
-Still pretty decent sound for a present day player.
-Charges baterries. Mine came with two 2100Mah sanyos.
-Runs longer on batteries. According to the specs 11hrs. Redbook, 33 mp3 CD vs. 7 and 17hours of the imp-150

The pros are not good enough for my needs so it goes back to the shop.

May 27, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I ordered another imp-150. I like the iriver sound and it's the only one that runs on AA's. I doubt the line-out of the imp-400/450/550 is any/much better. I've got an ifp-180T and the sound is very alike to the imp-150. And the anti-skip on the 150 you can put on 10 sec. The 400/450/550 start with 45 sec. It *might* sound a tad more compressed...

So the cons of getting a SlimX are:
-If your batteries run out you need an external batterypack if you're not near a stopcontact (place where you put the plug into the wall) And where I listen I just can't reach the stopcontact.
-You need the remote
Combine this with the amp connected to the player and you've got three thing hanging off it!
I can never hold that in one hand and walk around the house with it. So I need a case to put it in. And everytime I want to change a CD I have to get it back out again.
Very inconveniant! Give me a FatX with buttons and AA's anyday.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I ordered another imp-150. I like the iriver sound and it's the only one that runs on AA's. I doubt the line-out of the imp-400/450/550 is any/much better. I've got an ifp-180T and the sound is very alike to the imp-150. And the anti-skip on the 150 you can put on 10 sec. The 400/450/550 start with 45 sec. It *might* sound a tad more compressed...

So the cons of getting a SlimX are:
-If your batteries run out you need an external batterypack if you're not near a stopcontact (place where you put the plug into the wall) And where I listen I just can't reach the stopcontact.
-You need the remote
Combine this with the amp connected to the player and you've got three thing hanging off it!
I can never hold that in one hand and walk around the house with it. So I need a case to put it in. And everytime I want to change a CD I have to get it back out again.
Very inconveniant! Give me a FatX with buttons and AA's anyday.
smily_headphones1.gif

I't a shame you find the external battery pack an inconvenience as the play time is pretty good!

Jun 4, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

I've been having some problems lately with my imp-150 (trouble reading CD's) and wanted a replacement.

I bought a new portable cd-player once for the same reasons. When I had got it and paid for it I remembered that I hadn't tried to clean the reading lens. I did it and everything worked well after that. Then I had two working CD-players. Perhaps this trying to repair is obvious to you and you have already tried it. But if not I will only mention it.

Georg Langrath

Jun 4, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks Georg.
I did in fact try to clean it but that didn't work
frown.gif

Thanks anyway for your reply. It is true, the most obvious things are often overlooked. I once read here that someone bought new pair of headphones only to find out his old ones plug was pulled out of the headphone socket of his PCDP a bit.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thanks Georg.
I did in fact try to clean it but that didn't work
frown.gif

I once read here that someone bought new pair of headphones only to find out his old ones plug was pulled out of the headphone socket of his PCDP a bit.
biggrin.gif

That was even worse than to forget to clean lens. I hope that he at least got better headphones

Georg Langrath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back