iRiver IMP 550 - Hit or Miss?
Apr 29, 2004 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after reading many reviews and suggestions on Head-Fi I've finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a shiny, new, silver IMP 550.

I chose it on the basis of my listening style. I have neary 20gigs of songs, but I rarely listen to them all at once, and I figure if I am away travelling, 3 CD's (+800 songs) will be more than enough for any given week.

It's on charge now (for the next 8 hours) but I should get a chance to have a play with it later on tonight and let you know how it matches up with my SR 60s ! Plenty of time to really discover some of the pros and cons of the player on my flight home from Singapore (4 hours).

As well I'll test it against my girlfriend's G3 iPod for MP3 playback. (Seeing we would be using the same files between players). I'm looking forward to comparing the difference (as well as the battery life!)
lambda.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault
Well, after reading many reviews and suggestions on Head-Fi I've finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a shiny, new, silver IMP 550.

Hey, I hope you enjoy it. I just picked up one recently, and I've been enjoying mine. I seem to have discovered that the optical out doubles as a "true" analog line-out, and have been enjoying using it with my Sennheiser HD590s with external amplification.

It's really a great little player. Tons of features if you're willing to dig through the somewhat obtuse manual to find 'em. I'd recommend updating the firmware ASAP, but that's probably a given, so...

enjoy,

-Chad

Apr 29, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 5
800+ songs on 3 CD's?
How do you figure that? Even at low bitrate files you won't get to that (1 songs is about 4.5MB w/ 128kbps. 700MB : 4.5MB x 3CDs= 466 songs), or you have to go really low.
Even with those 900MB CDR's you wong get that many.
Or did I understand you wrong?

Anyway, enjoy your new player!

Apr 30, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
800+ songs on 3 CD's?
How do you figure that? Even at low bitrate files you won't get to that (1 songs is about 4.5MB w/ 128kbps. 700MB : 4.5MB x 3CDs= 466 songs), or you have to go really low.
Even with those 900MB CDR's you wong get that many.
Or did I understand you wrong?

Anyway, enjoy your new player!

Yeah I just looked at what I wrote! Ahhh my math sux!
lambda.gif
Ok I might have to bump that up to 6 CDs!

Enjoying the player at work right now! So far no problems and firmware updated without a hitch Chad!

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Heh.. nice choice man. I'd rather it not be priced so highly... it's kinda lagging behind in the value.. but I suppose it is a great player.
I was going to get that player... but decided to crap out and get one of those fat ass IMP 50s instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back