Iriver imp-400 and audio cd anti-shock (problem or not?)
Sep 29, 2004 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scorpio(DDMF)

Head-Fier
HI...
Just found out something about my player (imp-400 red) that I wasn't aware of...

I was hardly using it with audio CDs on the go (most of my "portable" listening material are mp3 cds), and one day I put some compilation (audio cd) that I've just burned (nice, quality media, 8x speed) in it and after 20 or so sec. of walking it started skipping...(I use a carying case from Case logic) (my audio CD anti-shock was set to 45 sec. , but changing it to 180 sec. didn't work-and sounded terrible if I may add..)

The only way for me to listen it without skipping was to turn the "Iriver shock-free" feature (wich lowers the battery life dramatically!), so I gave up on the idea for the time being (at least with that player)...

Few days ago, I was messing with my old mp3-pcdp (s**ty Mercury KOB-510, has nice headphone out for audio CDs) wich has a very sensitive transport (whenever you touch it, it skipps (with anti-shock off and cd-r audio), I was listening to some normal audio cds (not cd-rs), only to discover that when i hit it (accidentally
tongue.gif
) it didn't skip??? what???

So, I tried the CD on iriver, and after some jogging (shock free off, anti-shock 45 sec.) it didn't skip once???

I was wondering is this the case with all imp-400, or do I have a lemon (i think that Iriver should have a better/more tolerant transport)??

Cheers

Sep 30, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Mine does that too...

So it's the same for all imps with that transport...
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450

NOTE: I have an iMP-450...I hate it at times, iRiver didn't give us any firmware!

You shouldn't bother yourself with that...

If its any comfort to you, I think that the firmware that came with my unit was the best one (it came with some old version..1.10 or something): It had better decoding of mp3 files (could play a file even my PC couldn't... invalid format or something..) and faster skipping from song to song...

I updated my firmware 2 days from purchasing my player (I think to version 1.50) and got what? snakebyte game...
confused.gif
and those "invalid" files werent palyable...

The last firmware (1.80) brought nicer menu graphics (how often do you enter the menu after you set up everything?) and otf playlisting (wich isn't commpletly otf because you can only make playlists when the player is in stop mode...) It also brought ogg support(wich isn't complete) but, I bought an mp3 player, so I don't realy care for ogg (If it plays ogg, fine , if it doesn't thats fine also... )

So (aside from otf playlisting) I went trough 4 or 5 firmware upgrades (that didn't have any new features that I needed) and got 1 of them for wich I care...

I think that my (or yours for that matter) player won't get MUCH better trough firmware upgrading (a little, maybe), but it is a nice unit to begin with isn't it?

So just relax and enjoy the music...
lambda.gif

Cheers

Oct 1, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
So it's the same for all imps with that transport...
frown.gif

You shouldn't bother yourself with that...

If its any comfort to you, I think that the firmware that came with my unit was the best one (it came with some old version..1.10 or something): It had better decoding of mp3 files (could play a file even my PC couldn't... invalid format or something..) and faster skipping from song to song...

I updated my firmware 2 days from purchasing my player (I think to version 1.50) and got what? snakebyte game...
confused.gif
and those "invalid" files werent palyable...

The last firmware (1.80) brought nicer menu graphics (how often do you enter the menu after you set up everything?) and otf playlisting (wich isn't commpletly otf because you can only make playlists when the player is in stop mode...) It also brought ogg support(wich isn't complete) but, I bought an mp3 player, so I don't realy care for ogg (If it plays ogg, fine , if it doesn't thats fine also... )

So (aside from otf playlisting) I went trough 4 or 5 firmware upgrades (that didn't have any new features that I needed) and got 1 of them for wich I care...

I think that my (or yours for that matter) player won't get MUCH better trough firmware upgrading (a little, maybe), but it is a nice unit to begin with isn't it?

So just relax and enjoy the music...
lambda.gif

Cheers

The EQ on the iMP-450 is worse than the iMP-50! Go figure! Only Bass and Treble. iMP-50 has that and two others.

MP3 files that I created on my computer from my legally owned CD's and burned to a disc wouldn't play on the iMP-450, but would play fine on my friend's MP3/CD Player! iMP-450 couldn't even SEE the song. (NOTE: It was a single session disc)

Cancel on the recharge menu is spelled "CANCLE"

I've heard the player isn't using its anti-skip to its full potential w/the current firmware. And the iMP-450 doesn't have this "Etiquette Mode" that I thought was on the iMP-350.

I got te 450 only cuz of better battery life. I thought the 550 was more $$$ because of that fully round design [im serious] !

Just my thoughts..

]]]...waits impatiently for improved firmware...[[[

Oct 1, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
HI...
Just found out something about my player (imp-400 red) that I wasn't aware of...

I was hardly using it with audio CDs on the go (most of my "portable" listening material are mp3 cds), and one day I put some compilation (audio cd) that I've just burned (nice, quality media, 8x speed) in it and after 20 or so sec. of walking it started skipping...(I use a carying case from Case logic) (my audio CD anti-shock was set to 45 sec. , but changing it to 180 sec. didn't work-and sounded terrible if I may add..)

The only way for me to listen it without skipping was to turn the "Iriver shock-free" feature (wich lowers the battery life dramatically!), so I gave up on the idea for the time being (at least with that player)...

Few days ago, I was messing with my old mp3-pcdp (s**ty Mercury KOB-510, has nice headphone out for audio CDs) wich has a very sensitive transport (whenever you touch it, it skipps (with anti-shock off and cd-r audio), I was listening to some normal audio cds (not cd-rs), only to discover that when i hit it (accidentally
tongue.gif
) it didn't skip??? what???

So, I tried the CD on iriver, and after some jogging (shock free off, anti-shock 45 sec.) it didn't skip once???

I was wondering is this the case with all imp-400, or do I have a lemon (i think that Iriver should have a better/more tolerant transport)??

Cheers

As far as I know, there is no "CD anti-shock" AND "Iriver shock-free" mode: there is just one, it is the same thing. The 45 or 180 sec. setting is for _Iriver shock-free_ mode so if you don't have it enabled the setting will do nothing (no anti-skip protection which is why you had poor results).

To activate lossles anti-skip protection you have to set CD ANTI-SHOCK to 45 sec. and enable iRiver ShockFree (which will be indicated by an icon next to album title).

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
The EQ on the iMP-450 is worse than the iMP-50! Go figure! Only Bass and Treble. iMP-50 has that and two others.

About the EQ on the 400, it also has only bass and treble, but when I wrote 200Hz +3db I was refering to the bass corner frequency(200 Hz), and that bass boost is set to +3db

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
MP3 files that I created on my computer from my legally owned CD's and burned to a disc wouldn't play on the iMP-450, but would play fine on my friend's MP3/CD Player! iMP-450 couldn't even SEE the song. (NOTE: It was a single session disc)

Never had that problem... maybe you should try difrent media brand (imp just doesn't like them?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Cancel on the recharge menu is spelled "CANCLE"

Wow
eek.gif
thats lame!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I've heard the player isn't using its anti-skip to its full potential w/the current firmware. And the iMP-450 doesn't have this "Etiquette Mode" that I thought was on the iMP-350.

Don't know what "etiquette mode" is, maybe it is simular to 400's reservation mode? (select the next track that will play after the current is over)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
I got te 450 only cuz of better battery life. I thought the 550 was more $$$ because of that fully round design [im serious] !

Just my thoughts..

I've got mine because it was the only one available
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
]]]...waits impatiently for improved firmware...[[[

That could take a while (knowing iRiver)
rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Oct 1, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by V7iktor
As far as I know, there is no "CD anti-shock" AND "Iriver

shock-free" mode: there is just one, it is the same thing. The

45 or 180 sec. setting is for _Iriver shock-free_ mode so if

you don't have it enabled the setting will do nothing (no

anti-skip protection which is why you had poor results).

To activate lossles anti-skip protection you have to set CD

ANTI-SHOCK to 45 sec. and enable iRiver ShockFree (which will

be indicated by an icon next to album title).

Sorry, my bad...

Didn't realise that that's only one mode... but it is not the

same thing...

Antishock can't be turned off on imp.. it is shock resistant

even with "ShockFree" off...

So there IS some buffering other than "shockfree" wich can be

called anti-shock...

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Manual page 18

Iriver Shockfree:
-Toggle on/off by sliding "prog/eq/memory" button side during

Play mode.
Caution: Poorly recorded CDs may have inferior disc readability

while the iRiver ShockFree mode is activated. In this case,

please disable the iRiver ShockFree mode.

And..

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Manual page 22

CD ANTI-SHOCK
: Pre-buffering thechnlogy appllied to minimize the skipping

from external shock.
Playing Audio CD: Select 180 seconds to maximize skip

protection, select 45 seconds to maximize battery life.
Playing compressed Digital Audio: Allways activate in 480

seconds.

Furthermore, I'm shaking the player REALY hard right now (with

audio cd playing, "shockfree" off and cd antishock set to 45

sec.), and it is playing regardless of that I can clearly hear

the transport not reading anything, and starting to read when i

stop shaking...

Cheers

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 10
i loev it study mode, i just it with all my iriver players. basicly your 10+/- button are able to skip forward or backward 5 or 10secs. i skip around my songs alot apparently. its more precise than the fastford feature when you want to get to a specific part of a song. i think its supposed be for instrument study but i dont know how that work.

my imp550 have skipping problems too, often. with mp3 while walking, the player in my belt pouch, vertically. i have to pause the song when it statr for about 15 seconds for it to buffer it up before i can play it so it wont skip.

Oct 3, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 10
iMPs use the buffer all the time, it's true.
when you switch the "Shock free" on,
it starts to spin the CD much faster, and the buffer is filled up really quick, that's the difference.
suggestion to all iMP owners:
when you start playing a disc, let the player rest for 30 seconds or so. I don't mean putting it on a stable surface,
but avoid shaking it. After the buffer is filled up to the max, and Shock free is on, it won't skip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back