rab10

100+ Head-Fier
iRiver iHP + Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 =
600smile.gif

Portable HDD MP3 Audio Bliss?????

(or Any Audio Source with Optical Output
+ Audio-Technica ATH-D1000)

I just read Bangraman's "Review: Audio-Technica
ATH-D1000 digital upsampling headphone" post at...

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=67139

*YEAH BABY!* Now this is a great innovation to use with the
Audio Optical Output of the iRiver iHP series players!!!!!! (Or
other Audio Optical Output players.)

The price for the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 is about $629.
*YIKES!!!!!* (Audiocubes sells them.)

Are there any iRiver iHP users with the Audio-Technica
ATH-D1000's out there??? Tell us about your rig!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 12
I honestly think that once Bangraman gets an iHP, he'll be the only one to answer your question.

I might be wrong, but I'm just saying don't hold your breath.

Those do look like some kickass cans though.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Its says on his review, its only a digital headphone. Can it also be used as a regular/analog source. Any mod so it can be used on a analog source.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 12
iHP has a optical out if your wondering

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 12
The EQ settings don't affect optical output. The SRS does affect the optical output.

Initial impressions aren't perfect. The sound is inoffensive and pretty detailed as I expect but something's off when compared with the unamped iPod with the ATH-W2002. There's a bigger difference than when comparing the W2002 + amp (WAD or XP-7) against the D1000 on the same full-size deck.

I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but there's something noticeably missing from the iHP's digital output when pitted directly against the iPod + W2002, although the sound of the iPod is a little "harder" than the iHP + D1000 combination.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Can you use the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 on a analog source like iPod (or iHP headphone jack)? Or its a ONLY digital/optical source?

Do we (Head-Fi members) have discounts at audiocubes?

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 12
If ATH-W2002 is use on iPod and iHP with the same song, which one has the best sound, good bass?

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Good bass is subjective based on experience / musical tastes. However if bass still enters your mind as the first priority then I think the W2002 is not for you.

I think there's enough bass out of both with the W2002, but my initial reaction is that the iHP exhibits (comparison both at flat) a punchier but at the same time more bloated bass, combined with a lack of clarity in the overall sound when compared to the iPod.

I'll listen (both analog and digital) with more music and see if my opinions swings any differently. Unlike Austonia I haven't had any functional problems with the iHP yet, everything is working fine so far and I have no problems understanding how it works although there are things about it I don't like too... but nothing disastrous.

The sound of the iHP is the biggest concern at this stage, both from analog and digital output. Perhaps it's too much to say it's a big concern... Ultimately I'm not that worried if it's inferior to the iPod in (analog) sound since the D1000 is agreeable enough on the iHP and I bought the iHP exclusively to use as a digital HDD source. Still, if the sound wasn't up to scratch it would leave me feeling somewhat disappointed.

Anyway, I'll listen more and update my opinions most likely during the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back