iRiver H120 or H320 - need help choosing
Feb 24, 2006 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
All I care about is the sound quality. Rock box will take care of the UI (I hope). I am a little tecchie-ish, so learning curves do not bother me. Please help me decide which unit is the better choice for an audiophile looking for the ultimate sound and sound options (e.g. optical out, etc.)
confused.gif

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 12
I think it was confirmed somewhere that the H1xx and H3xx use the same chipset, and that most of the hardware is identical aside from the obvious (color screen on the H3xx, Optical out on the H1xx). Go with the H1xx if the optical out is what you are looking for, because the line outs are the same, and as people have said they are both digitally volume controlled. they aren't really true line outs until full volume is selected. if you can find a good h1xx for a reasonable price go for it. otherwise check out the progress on the H300 rockbox, over at misticriver.net. The WPS are getting pretty advanced and album art support has been implemented.

Feb 24, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 12
feature-wise they are pretty similar but i'd take the H100 of the H300 mainly for its magnesium casing (vs plastic on the H300).

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 12
The 320 is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the 120 from what I remember. Basically pick the 320 if you want the color screen, otherwise go for the 120. It's got optical out, LCD remote, smaller size, and easier navigation. 320 uses just a couple of stiff, recessed buttons to navigate through 20gb of music. 120 has a joystick which IMO is much nicer.

Feb 24, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 12
I love my H320, but for only audio go for the H120. The optical out lets you use a DAC with it.

Of course, the H320 can play Doom...
tongue.gif

Depends on which features are more important to you. Basically it's color screen vs. optical I/O. Both are great players, and Rockbox is awesome.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmichael
Get one of each, play with both for a while and sell the one you like the least. Works for me.

If only i had that kinda money to burn...
icon10.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 12
One more questions for you all, please. I have an X5 as in my signature, but I'm wondering if SQ-wise, maybe it's better to go for something like an Archos Gmini 402 or the creative Zen vision:m. Any thoughts/comments?

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
One more questions for you all, please. I have an X5 as in my signature, but I'm wondering if SQ-wise, maybe it's better to go for something like an Archos Gmini 402 or the creative Zen vision:m. Any thoughts/comments?

The Irivers (at least the h1xx and h3xx) are reputed to have very very good SQ. I think you will be happy with the iriver in that department.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 12
I have both H120 and 320. Not a great deal between them in terms of sound but the 320 seems to have a quieter hard drive. The reason I say this is that my wife also has an H120 and both hers and mine make a high pitch sound that can be quite loud in quiet environment. The 320 seems quieter.

Also, you can watch mini-screen video on it! (H320)

Ian

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 12
I say get the H120. Build quality seems better, imo, on the H120. Metal casing and overall build feels more solid. Also if you want a color screen there are better options for that. Just get the H120 and if you want to watch videos get a PMP.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 12
If you have an X5....than you have an idea of what to expect. I have an X5 and an H140 and to me, they sound very similar to each other. The X5 has slightly more soundstage, the H140 has slightly more bass when both are set to flat output.

I really enjoy both players and feel they are "technological equals".

As others have said, I would go for the H1xx over the H3xx first to get that optical out. It's nice to have if you ever decide to use it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back