iRiver H10 Issue
May 13, 2006 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Filburt

Headphoneus Supremus
So my girlfriend got an H10, and I noticed a weird bug in it that I'm not sure of how to fix. Before anyone asks, I _did_ check for firmware updates and it is current with the version on iRiver's site (v2.51).

The problem is that, when playing a song, I have to go back into the custom EQ screen and press the button that moves from one band to the next (for adjustment) at least once, before the full EQ effect comes on. That is, the top button on the right side of the unit. The weird thing is that it seems like the EQ normally works to some degree, but it doesn't give the full effect unless I do this...each time I go to another song.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Also, I found the H10 actually sounded pretty decent. I know some folks complained about the sound on it, but I didn't encounter any of the issues people mentioned, such as distortion or fuzziness...interesting. It's the 20GB model, by the way.

May 13, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry I can't be much of a help here. But I do want to listen to more people comment on the sound of this player. This player can be had for about $160 right now. I'm just wondering how good it sounds compare to other players, just headphone out(not line out).

May 14, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dskywalker
Sorry I can't be much of a help here. But I do want to listen to more people comment on the sound of this player. This player can be had for about $160 right now. I'm just wondering how good it sounds compare to other players, just headphone out(not line out).

Aside from the bizarre EQ issue, I thought the sound was really pretty good overall, as far as DAPs go. It seemed to have pretty good dynamic range, stereo and instrument separation, and detail. It was one of the better experiences I've had with DAPs, as I've found they mostly don't impress me much, soundwise. I wish the custom EQ wasn't being obnoxious, though, as it does work pretty well otherwise. I think what might be happening is that the player has some sort of anti-clip mode and the only way to override it is to do the procedure I described, because it still EQs the sound, just not as much, and it mostly retains the same sound in both cases (just not the same loudness or quite the same aggression). I didn't try the included earbuds much, but on my Sony MDR-E838s, it had pretty good impact on the low end.

On my laptop, at least, I could access the drive directly through windows explorer. This is my preferred method of loading music, any my girlfriend's, so I was happy about that. Seemed to load at at least a few MB/sec, too.

May 14, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 5
This is a known bug with the 2.51 firmware. I own the 5GB UMS version and i have to say the sound from it is great. By the way, it doesnt have line out, only on the cradle do you get line out. I dont actually use EQ but they have released firmware version 2.52 for the UMS, and i think there is 2.52 for the MTP version in the pipeline but no date as of yet. It fixes this bug.

You can access the player in UMS mode by doing the "UMS trick" as follows. If you have the h20, you have to use a paperclip and press the reset button up the top, if you have the 5/6gb you have to take the battery out for atleast 3 seconds. Then, connect to your computer, hold the "o" button and while holding "o" press on, keep holding "o" until it says emergency connect on the screen.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Someone on another board said he put firmware 2.10 on his 20GB H10. Where would I get this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back