IRiver E100 Reviews Thread (VIDEO LINK ADDED)
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 52
people said E100 hangs when playing flac.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats weird, the first specified 17 hours playing 128kbit mp3 (meaning around 10 playing flac) and now its been bumped to 25 ?

They released a new firmware this month that bumped the 17hours to 25hours.

Anyway, i'm using my meizu m6 for some time now and I will probably get this one, more a 8GB micro SDHC.I'm just waiting for some serious reviewer, that can comment on audio quality.
I'm still suffering for getting the meizu m6 when my NW-hd5h broke. Well, at least people are trying to get the M6 rockboxed.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They released a new firmware this month that bumped the 17hours to 25hours.

Anyway, i'm using my meizu m6 for some time now and I will probably get this one, more a 8GB micro SDHC.I'm just waiting for some serious reviewer, that can comment on audio quality.
I'm still suffering for getting the meizu m6 when my NW-hd5h broke. Well, at least people are trying to get the M6 rockboxed.

I don't think it supports SDHC cards. But I'd love to be wrong.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it supports SDHC cards. But I'd love to be wrong.

Hmm, i think you are right. I though I had read somewhere that it supports sdhc, but I can't find that info.Oh well, if it don't support sdhc, is a no go for me.

UPDATE: I have been reading the manual, and it says that 4GB microSd is the biggest size supported :\

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 52
Seems nice, but at only 8 gb it's disappointing. If they release a 32gb version, I'd consider it. Though the huge screen would be wasted for me, I'd probably never watch videos on it.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #21 of 52
This player doesn't seem to be anything new. seems like iriver is just about design these days, no AAC and just 2, 4 and 8 GB come on iriver are you kidding??

And the review said the good SQ is because of SRS WOW
tongue.gif
It would be interesting to see what the real HIFI-magazines has to say about it, they don't usually like the modern irivers SQ.

This is sad, I loved the older hard drive irivers and would love to have a new one that can compete sq-wise with other modern players.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone out is the lineout. But dont kid yourself the ipods lineout is basicly its headphone out set at a certain volume. Because I've read that the signal passes the exact same circuits on both the headphone out and lineout. This is also true for sony md players and I also believe pcdps unless they have an optical out. And they are highly regarded for their SQ. On my md player theres an option to change the headphone out to a true line out. But it basicly sets the volume on a certain level.

So dont be fooled if a portable player has a lineout dock or if another one doesnt.

I noticed this with my iPhone. I AB'd the line-out dock with the headphone out and couldn't tell the difference for the life of me so I assume the dock doesn't improve SQ on the iPhone but that's just my opinion. I don't know the technical details.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed this with my iPhone. I AB'd the line-out dock with the headphone out and couldn't tell the difference for the life of me so I assume the dock doesn't improve SQ on the iPhone but that's just my opinion. I don't know the technical details.

I don't know, I always thought the LO for the ipod was fed off a different section on the wolfson codec and was cleaner because it bypassed the heaphone amp and circuitry? Thus the bonus of having a LO.

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #24 of 52
If this unit had a line out and HDD model, I'd rock it. Codec support is awesome still, so I have some hope for future units that may be in the works.

Still, there are a thousand 2/4/8 flash players out there, why they aren't going for 32gb is a mystery to me. Plus why the huge screen when only 8gb? That's about 5 seasons of futurama and nothing else.

Please don't think I'm bashing this player, just thinking out loud.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #25 of 52
Well, I went to iRiver's distributor center in Singapore (MP3 tech) and tried out the player. And to confirm the flac hanging, yes it happened when I tried to play a flac I uploaded to the E100. The salesperson entertaining me was quite baffled as well when he saw this.

Other than that, it sounded good to me. The screen was not as fantastic as my P2 or the Clix2, but it will do fine with non-WS videos. And is there any reason why this player cannot display album art?

Mar 14, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can't display Album Art? But it shows a spot for it in the screencaps I've seen of the Now Playing screen.

Guess I'm doing it wrong then? Didn't show for my MP3 files...

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #30 of 52
Review: iriver E100

Quote:

Sound quality

I've always been really pleased with iriver's sound quality in the past, but my ears and Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro in-ear monitors are a bit . . . well . . . underwhelmed by how the E100 sounds. It should be more than satisfying for casual listeners who use the earphones supplied with the player, but those with more discerning ears or experience with other DAPs may long for richer and perhaps cleaner sound.

I still maintain that iriver produces players with above-average sound quality, but I'm just not as blown away by it as I used to be. In a purely subjective side-by-side comparison (same song playing with no EQ or other enhancement enabled) between the E100, Sony A810, Toshiba gigabeat T400, and Creative ZEN, my ears and UE super.fi give top honors to the gigabeat. Your experience may vary, but I'd put the E100 in last place compared to the others.

A player that reproduces flac, but don't sound as good as it should sound, what is the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back