iQuit: Steve Jobs Takes Leave Of Absence Due To Illness
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Taikero

500+ Head-Fier
Washington Post: Apple's Ailing CEO Takes Leave

I'm no Apple supporter, but I hope he doesn't go and die just yet.
frown.gif

This makes me wonder what will happen to Apple, both in the stock market and their product line.

I guess the looming question on everyone's mind is: Can Apple innovate and remain the fashionable* and innovative consumer tech powerhouse it has become without Steve Jobs at the helm?

Honestly, I don't know. Apple is run a certain way because of Steve Jobs, including massive separation of departments during R&D on new products, which in this case is like having each finger not knowing what the other fingers are doing while trying to pick up and throw a baseball. Steve Jobs has been probably the only person watching over all these moving pieces for a long time now, "pitching" no-hitters quite successfully for the better part of a decade, so the fear that there's nobody to pick up where he's leaving off is very real.

So what do you think? Is Apple doomed to failure without Steve Jobs, or does he still have an ace in the hole we all don't know about?

*[size=xx-small]If you're into white like that.[/size]

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 29
I hope Steve's health improves.

I've read a bit about this and it seems that he's put a team in place so Apple will run without him. Jobs certainly has a lot of influence, but the corporation is a big one and there must be many talented people there with lower profiles. If they need a figurehead, they could bring back Woz - I think Apple could use his influence again.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 29
Woz is a smart, incredibly nice guy (who's still on the Apple payroll, incidentally), but no longer particularly clueful or on the ball about computers.

I hope Jobs recovers. The whole industry benefits from the kind of competition he brings to the table.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 29
I think Apple is screwed without him. Without him, it'll be a gigantic marketing focus group where decisions are made by committee, and nobody can be blamed for everything. They will make stupid decisions, because everyone in charge will be a waste of skin (aka business or marketing major), and the company will bloat itself into oblivion, just like other companies run by marketing groups (gm, for example).

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 29
He is a very inspiring leader and a captivating speaker...i hope he gets well soon.

the man who brought so many concepts to life and made so many things happen.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Apple is screwed without him. Without him, it'll be a gigantic marketing focus group where decisions are made by committee, and nobody can be blamed for everything. They will make stupid decisions, because everyone in charge will be a waste of skin (aka business or marketing major), and the company will bloat itself into oblivion, just like other companies run by marketing groups (gm, for example).

That's what I thought at first too, but Uncle Erik and Wodgy do make a good point that there are smaller figures in the company, probably with plenty of talent who could keep the product line fresh. Not to mention that bringing Woz back in that event would keep a known and recognized head as the face of the company.

Far from being an Apple fan (can't stand most of their products and never really got comfortable with the Apple OS is general), but I do hope that taking it easy for some months does his health benefit, cause Apple sure will be different without him.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 29
I'd like him to stick around a bit more, not just because i hate random tragedies of nature, but because he's a fascinating person to observe.

business wise, i think Apple will do OK without him... possibly even better in some ways.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 29
My guess is the cancer is back and he's taking his remaining time on earth off from work ....

I also think Apple is lost without him. Look how they floundered when he left the first time.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like him to stick around a bit more, not just because i hate random tragedies of nature, but because he's a fascinating person to observe.

business wise, i think Apple will do OK without him... possibly even better in some ways.

They didn't before. It was a dark time for mac users in the mid to late 90s.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spleisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame. No need to speculate, but it can't be a GOOD thing. Wish him well.

My friend, as a cancer survivor, I do wish him well.

But I know that look. I've seen it, week after week at the infusion center.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm impressed by our forum's civility regarding this matter. Other forums with the same news are flooded with bad puns and PC virus vs Mac cancer jokes. Kudos to us!

Yeah, since 1 in 2 men will end up getting cancer, not a good idea to mess with your karma like that ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back