iPurifier3 vs DDC
May 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 93
Right now the only big difference I can hear is:

iFi Diablo/iPurifier3 + iPower X + Arya.
It sounds clear compared to the old iPower charger. It is more wellrounded in the sound. I notice less distortion.

But still… I noticed this tempo\metronome in the music not being tight!

DDC related?

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 93
It's seems extremely doubtful (ok, unbelivable) that the iPurifier reclocks. Real DDCs are expensive, because stable clocks are expensive. People are spending 5,000 euros for standalone clocks. Let's face it, the small portable decrapifiers might help, but don't expect them to provide good reclocking or any reclocking in most cases.
i know right? any decent DDCs that does good reclocking costs $$$. but that's what ifi claims.. reclock, rebalance, etc. like you said the quality I.. doubt it too.
@iFi audio thoughts comments please

May 28, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 93
What do you guys think of this?
https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Isolator.htm
Full test with Amir's measurements https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter-review.10205/
And the main takeaway.

Conclusions
We can easily demonstrate that devices like JitterBug cannot work. USB is a high-speed bus. You cannot filter it without causing the data to be corrupted. So any filtering that JitterBug performs there must be well into Megahertz region and hence outside of audible band. Since data transmission to a USB DAC is highly reliable anyway, filter does no good. As to filtering of the USB power, the DAC itself has a regulator and filter of its own. Adding the tiny bit of filtering JitterBug has is like spitting in an ocean and expecting its level to rise.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 93
It's seems extremely doubtful (ok, unbelivable) that the iPurifier reclocks.
Reclocking is no big deal. A $20 network switch reclocks. There are clocks in most digital devices, routers, extenders, NAS, etc. iFi says there is a clock in the iPurifier3, I see no grounds to call them liars.

May 28, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #20 of 93
I disagree that a filter can do no good. I like reading the measurements made at ASR, but it is possibly the worst place on the internet for advice on sound quality.

I've used an iPurifier2 USB in my desktop system for several years. It improved the sound on some of my inexpensive DAC's, i.e. Sabaj Da2, XtremPro X1, Schiit Modi 3, Korg DS-DAC-10R, Korg DS-DAC100M, Topping D50S, all fed by a Dell Windows 10 laptop. Used with my previous Audiolab 8200CD, it made the sound worse. It has a negligible effect with the Schiit Modius DAC, with the improved Unison USB. I am currently using in with a Schiit Eitr, where it is pretty much a necessity. I use an iPurifier SPDIF on Toslink to clean up the sound from my TV and my heavily tweaked Chromecast Audio streamer, and I wouldn't be without it.

I've never tried the USB iPurifier in my main system with an exaSound Playpoint and DAC, because it would be a waste of time. It does not belong in a system like that, nor does any USB cleaner. Instead, I've concentrated on network improvements feeding my main system, which have delivered significant improvements. Your RME DAC has a very good USB implementation. I wouldn't have thought an iPurifier3 would help, but maybe your source is really bad, like my Dell laptop?

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 93
May 28, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #22 of 93
I'll take measurements over wax poetics any time of the day. Glad that we have at least some sober, real engineer heads like Amir in this hobby.
Another "subjective" test of iPurifier3 (with measurements, sorry)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ive-test-of-the-ifi-ipurifier3-i-tried.28507/

Based on this result I can say: 1. The iP3 has caused a measurable change in the clock drift and jitter, but not for the better 2. Environmental noise (vibrations) caused more significant change than using the iP3, 3. Based upon the fact that I could not hear the recorded noise caused by vibrations, the iP3 makes no audible difference. I will point out that these results are only valid using the Denafrips Ares II. If you were to use a DAC that is more susceptible to USB issues you may have different results.

And in case anyone wondered of iPurifier3 circuity inside, take a look
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-ipurifier3-0.883536/page-8#post-14579506

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #23 of 93
I'll take measurements over wax poetics any time of the day. Glad that we have at least some sober, real engineer heads like Amir in this hobby.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ive-test-of-the-ifi-ipurifier3-i-tried.28507/

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-ipurifier3-0.883536/page-8#post-14579506
I wish the test was done on a DAC without the R2R

May 29, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #24 of 93
Unfortunately, experience has shown me that DAC measurements do not correlate with sound quality (a common opinion among audiophiles). The Topping D50S, which I purchased based on solid measurements, sounded awful to me. One thing I will not abide is a device that makes music sound lifeless and boring. The Schiit Modi 3 kicked it to the curb, a result opposite to Amir's measurement score. ASR rated the Schiit Modi 3 higher than the Yggdrasil, which is just a bad joke.

I owned an Audiolab 8200CD for 11 years and thought I should get something newer, so I bought a Benchmark DAC3 HGC. There was nothing wrong with the Benchmark, it sounded really good. The problem was, it sounded almost exactly like my old Audiolab, so I returned it. I eventually replaced the Audiolab with an exaSound e32 Mark II, which was a true upgrade in sound quality, despite scoring lower than the Benchmark on ASR's simplistic measurements. Music is extremely dynamic and complex, with many, many sine waves occurring simultaneously and interacting with each other. Sorry bud, you can't judge sound quality based on a static test.
The author is careful to note that the sensitivity of his experiment is suspect. He also says: "If you were to use a DAC that is more susceptible to USB issues you may have different results." Which is exactly in line with my experience; it helps with some DAC"s, hurts with others.

A couple of DIY Audio excerpts regarding measurements:

"the "Power" that sites like ASR are gaining is really concerning and detrimental to the end sound quality IME. The trouble with the guys on ASR is that they ONLY judge a products performance via "simplistic" technical measurements and IME this does a massive disservice to the general HiFi community - especially those who are scared to listen for themselves..."

"As far as I'm concerned, in the case above, if you want "Best measurements", then buy the cheaper unit and be Happy and "Laugh" at the rest of us smile.gif but DON"T dare say the new design sounds worst because in some areas it has poorer measured performance..."

"You will be surprised how many (it not all) designer I know will privately agree that standard "static" measurements have little refection on sound quality (try as they might to measure and "quantify" sound quality) - but just as in so many walks of life are too afraid to have there voices counted..."

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/331363-ak4499eq-dac-25.html#post6130649

JohnW is John Westlake, a renowned designer. He developed DAC's for Pink Triangle, Cambridge Audio, Audiolab, and Pro-ject, which have sold in the millions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Westlake
You can't judge sound quality by looking at a photo. The exact components used, the way they interact with each other, and the way they reproduce music can only be known by listening to the final result.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 93
Of course snake oil salesmen would be concerned, it's affecting their business after all.
Try reading John Westlake's Wikipedia page. His audio design accomplishments are legendary. What are yours, that you see fit to make such a toothless and uninformed dismissal?

What he is saying is that a device that measures better doesn't necessarily sound better. I witnessed this decades ago, when each new Japanese amp and receiver had lower THD and higher power ratings, and each sounded worse than the last. Numbers are not the answer to great sound.

May 29, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #28 of 93
Reclocking is no big deal. A $20 network switch reclocks. There are clocks in most digital devices, routers, extenders, NAS, etc. iFi says there is a clock in the iPurifier3, I see no grounds to call them liars.
No, I don't think so- the discussion is regarding USB audio devices. What's your definition of reclock? How is a network switch supposed to process PCM or DSD signals?

A useful definition of reclocking is that the audio clock portion of the audio signal is removed and replaced with one of higher quality.

May 29, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #29 of 93
Try reading John Westlake's Wikipedia page. His audio design accomplishments are legendary. What are yours, that you see fit to make such a toothless and uninformed dismissal?

What he is saying is that a device that measures better doesn't necessarily sound better. I witnessed this decades ago, when each new Japanese amp and receiver had lower THD and higher power ratings, and each sounded worse than the last. Numbers are not the answer to great sound.
We are talking about USB decrapifier with the sole function of lowering jitter and removing electrical noise. And this is exactly what Amir and other reviewers measured.
It's simple electrical engineering, things that can be measured and compared.

May 29, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #30 of 93
A useful definition of reclocking is that the audio clock portion of the audio signal is removed and replaced with one of higher quality.
I do not believe you can "reclock" digital USB signal unless you do SPDIF conversion. With Async USB receivers these days they rely on master clock on DAC side, so there is no dependency on upstream system clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back