iPod's New Scrollwheel
Aug 4, 2002 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just picked up the 20 gig iPod at the local store. Iwas surprised they had them. The new scrollwheel is well, cool. Very hard to tell the difference between the "old" mechanical one. The clicks fool you. For kicks I handed it to my wife (she did'nt know it was new) and asked her "does this seem to be working O.K.? She said "Yeah fine". It is slightly thicker than by recently sold 10 gigger and slightly heavier. The new firmware is nice with the clock and calendar. I was shocked by the remote ist is tiny. The case that comes with the new iPods is nylon material. It's rather plain. But it serves the purpose. The new fat iPod fits fine in my Waterfield Design and Mareware cases. And the Firewire cover is nice too. Time to rip some more CD's..
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 9
I agree with you about the new wheel - you wouldn't know it was any different in general use but I found it just slightly harder to navigate one step at a time. If it is more reliable that makes up for it.

And I didn't know they were going on sale until August 24 but I probably confused it with the 17" iMac release date.

Since I bought the 10G iPod I haven't seen it much, my wife grabbed it and and takes it to work every day. Off to the Apple store for me...

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by tvhead
Lextek,

According MacDef, the new version should play MP4/AAC. Does it?

I'm dying to put the new update on my old iPod.

How can I tell? Is that the format for audible books?

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 9
mp4/aac is some kind of new audio compression format.

I think the files are supposed to be smaller but sound better.

You'd need an MP4 to play it or have something that encodes mp4. iTunes does not do it yet. Supposedly there is a freeware compressor.

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by tvhead
According MacDef, the new version should play MP4/AAC. Does it?

I later corrected myself and said that it is supposed to be available via an upcoming firmware update
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 9
MacDef,

You did? Anyways.. I don't trust Apple reps or the genius bar anymore.

And I guess it's a pretty safe bet that the iPod will support the new formats in an eventual update, even if it isn't 1.2, since that's what it says on the website.

I would be stoked if the downloadable 1.2 had it. Maybe that's why they haven't released it yet, since they're working on it?

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 9
AAC is supported in the new version of QuickTime (6), but is not yet on the list of supported formats fir the iPod. I would think it will eventually arrive in a software upgrade. I have a new 20gb iPod with version 1.2 of the software preinstalled and it does not support AAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back