IPod vs Zune
Aug 14, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #136 of 147
Quote:

@MOSA500. This is why everyone including their mother hates the ifanboys.

Yes, everyone hates everything related to the iPod. Thats why the iPod sold more than 30 times more than the Zune in the same time frame and more than 100 times more overall
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Zune screen ratio is the same as i_Pod. 4:3. Period. My screen looks quite fine

Wrong.

Here is a picture of the Zune:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Zunesyncnew.jpg

Here is a picture of the iPod:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...tion_white.jpg

The PHYSICAL screen dimensions on the Zune are CLEARLY 16x9. That is not 4x3 any more than a movie theater screen is.

Despite the screen being physically 16x9, the PIXEL aspect ratio is 4x3. You can compare video on the two yourself and see that the Zune results in blurry and washed out video due in part to the stretched and improper resolution, as well as the fact that WMV is an awful video codec.

Quote:

You say you can use the i_Pod on any OS with a myriad of software. I'll tell you something. Unless your i_Pod is rockboxed you miss gapless playback when you don't use iTunes

Well, I haven't tried that yet so I can't confirm it. However, I will say two other things. First, unlike the Zune software, iTunes is actually fast, stable, powerful, flexible, and can let you manage your music in hundreds of ways the Zune software will never let you. There really isn't a reason to not use iTunes. Second, at least I have a CHOICE of what software I want to use with the iPod.

Well, I guess the Zune gives you choices too. You can sync it with the Zune software in Windows XP or you can sync it with the Zune software in Windows Vista.

Let's focus on the Zune software for a minute. What was Microsoft thinking with the whole ridiculous "Points" thing? Why can't I buy one song at 99 cents? Why do I have to buy a whole block of "points" that I might never use?

Why did Microsoft ignore their own PlaysForSure partners and open a music store that looks, acts, and performs worse than their partners and has fewer songs?

Why didn't they use Windows Media Player 11? WMP11 might not be as good as iTunes but its a whole lot better than the Zune software!

Quote:

The Zune UI is based on Media Center. better yet...PMC. it was funny reading that MS ripped the i_Pod interface when the interface belongs to Creative.

Like I said to the other poster, do your research
wink.gif
5 seconds with google will prove everything I said as a fact.

I don't know though. You are running Windows. Can Windows and IE go for 5 seconds without crashing or presenting an error message of some sort?

Oh and the Zune UI is a ripoff of the iPod UI. Just with really ugly and choppy "effects" built-in.

Quote:

I will tell you something. the 73 ppl that voted for Zune...voted 'cause there is just 1 variation of the Zune. But the other 98 that voted i_Pod could be owner of just a shuffle (like yourself) instead of a 5G+ one.

It's pretty obvious from the start of this thread that it is basically 5G+ iPod versus Zune. It's just common sense, especially considering the original poster has a 5G iPod.

But I really don't think any of this matters to you. You've been proven wrong on many accounts already, especially the battery life comment on the first page, yet you continue to go on and on.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #137 of 147
There's no "other" option, so I can't vote. I bought an iPod once upon a time, and my girlfriend has one, and I wouldn't buy one again. Not only do I not like hard-drive based players, but I also don't like iTunes and the resources it hogs, and the Zune also has a proprietary solution.

I tried rockbox on my Sansa and I wouldn't use it again, although it may have features that I missed. What's with the grey background and ugly fonts for instance?

The problem with the iPod is fragility - from the back to the front to the way it feels, it feels very fragile. And I guess that's good because it costs a lot too and you wouldn't want to break it, but it doesn't make me want to touch it and use it. It feels like it would be more at home in a display case than in my pocket, and I take exceptional care of my electronics.

The Zune, well aside from the stupid software it needs, it feels too much like a "me toooooooo!!!!" device. I don't dislike MS, having had plenty of phones with their software, but I like small, extremely portable players and there are better alternatives to both the iPod (Nano) and the Zune.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #138 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOSA500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PHYSICAL screen dimensions on the Zune are CLEARLY 16x9. That is not 4x3 any more than a movie theater screen is.

Despite the screen being physically 16x9, the PIXEL aspect ratio is 4x3. You can compare video on the two yourself and see that the Zune results in blurry and washed out video due in part to the stretched and improper resolution, as well as the fact that WMV is an awful video codec.

You're completely, utterly and unequivocally wrong. It isn't possible to make 16:9 screens with 4:3 resolution because no LCD maker makes LCDs with non-square pixels.

The Zune has a 4:3 screen with QVGA resolution, and it is much clearer and brighter and bigger than the iPod video's screen. Even my phone's screen is brighter than the iPod's screen.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #139 of 147
MOSA500, you are wrong. the zune's screen is 4:3. you are also getting a bit preachy on the software side. itunes is most certainly not flawless (especially on the windows side). here have been a number of stability problems and it is often slow to startup and a resource hog while running. i would put the zune software a few notches below it, but it is a pretty stable and usable program. there are a few things missing compared to itunes, but not nearly as many as you implied.

Mark, rockbox allows you to change everything including the fonts and the background. The zune's screen is not clearer or brighter than the ipod's. i'm not sure which ipod you are comparing to, but the ipod's screen is very bright.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #140 of 147
/rant on
LOL, at MOSA....
biggrin.gif
LOL...<speechless> jaja what a joke, dude !!!
Please, somebody give him the Kool Aid.
/rant over

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #141 of 147
Im getting a zune for 170 cnd soon. Ive used ipods and Ive used a zune before too. Personally, if you already have an ipod, you just stick with it, but if youre looking for something different, no harm in testing out the zune

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #142 of 147
for me it comes down to : ipod - everyone has it. zune : not my cup of tea. but, the ipod has option (though i never would) of rockbox and i do like the amplifier - even if it is understated. it is not the the type of amplifier that typically is in a portable device - it is soft

Aug 16, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #143 of 147
I have had a chance to try zune yet but personally I love my iPod. And I love iTune, too.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #145 of 147
i really say its a matter of opinion. I dont think any of them are better. Hell, I have a Zune, but im saving up for a 80gb ipod as well.

here's what I think.

Zune

- Big screen. I dont care about resolution, it doesnt get that bad. Like on youtube, i always max the screen even if it makes it look like crap.

- Its different. *shrugs* i like to be different once in a while. its a personal pref thing.

- The case. It doesnt smudge and it doesnt scratch easily. I like it. The size feels nice in my hands.

- I like the changable background and the UI.

- Radio

- Wi-fi. somebody will learn to hack it sooner or later to allow web browsing lol.

The Ipod (5.5 gen) 80gb

- I love the battery life.

- its a LITTLE smaller. Its not something i really care about, but its a plus.

- I love the iMirror lol. no better way to see if you have a pimple than to check your trusty iMirror

- the click wheel is fun.

- the number of accessories available. dock, speakers, that cool dj thing. cases.

- ill never use the calender, contacts, games, and ill look at the clock sometimes, but i have a watch and a cellphone. but none the less, its a plus.

- the number of hacks and stuff for it. rockbox too (although ill never use it)

all personal pref.

Aug 17, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #146 of 147
Calendar and contacts are incredibly valuable to Mac users. Those perfectly sync all of your info across your iPod, desktop computer, laptop and phone.

See ya
Steve

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #147 of 147
^^

That's where the iPhone comes in...heheh All-in-One

Users who are viewing this thread

Back