iPod -v- Minidisc (for an ER4P user)
Aug 9, 2002 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jmelcer

New Head-Fier
Having used a PJB-100 for nearly year (together with my ER4P), I recently switched to MiniDisc (a MZ-N505). The reason for the switch was that I found the audio quality from the PJB-100 unsatisfactory. In particular, it lacked clarity - this is despite using the EAC/Lame combo for ripping and encoding the MP3s, and using a 320k CBR!.

ATRAC, on the other hand, is terrific - to my ears. Clear as a bell, and miles ahead of MP3s through the PJB-100. However, I badly miss the ability to have my entire music collection with me whereever I go - (if Sony ever produce a hard drive based ATRAC player, I'm in!). So, having read good things about the iPod, I wondered if any iPod/ER4P users could comment on the sound quality?

In particular, how does it compare to a PCDP/ER4P or MD/ER4P combo?

Any comments from PJB-100 users would also be very welcome.

Jerome

Aug 9, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 13
I am a minidisk (Sharm MT-832) user myself and I've been looking for an MP3 jukebox with at least comparable sound quality. I've auditioned Archos and Ipod (the 5GB model) and was very disappointed with their sound quality. I've used MP3s ripped with Lame at 3 and the music didn't sound nearly as good as on the minidisk. That's just my subjective opinion though, I know many people who are very satisfied with the sound quality on Ipod.

I guess you may have to find a local store where they have a display unit and audition it yourself since peoples' tastes are very individual and what really matters is whether you like it or not, not what 1000 other people say. Good luck!

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Of all the hard drive-based MP3 players I've heard, the iPod clearly has the best sound, IMO. Igor01, I'm willing to bet that the iPod you heard had all 128k MP3s on it.

That said, ATRAC is just plain better than MP3 as an encoding/compression scheme. In every comparison I've done, ATRAC sounds better than even the best MP3 encoders at higher bitrates.

On the other hand, with an iPod you could encode in AIFF/WAV or very high bitrate MP3s. You'll reduce the battery life, but it'll sound great.

Aug 9, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Hi jmelcer, I have both the ipod and a mzr900 and use E4p's. As far as the sound of both, if your not using an amp IMO the ipod has a clearer, more discernable sound with mp3's with the ety's, especially compared to netmd music. Plus the headphone jack gives a better output than the n505. Even if you use an amp the ipod would still have a better sound than the n505. Having been a former Archos user, I believe the ipod the be the best sounding mp3 player out there, plus it has plenty of output to power the ety 4p's. However if you were using an amp and had a line out on your MD player, they would sound remarkable similar (especially with 320 vbr mp3's). For me with the Mzr900, it's pretty much a tossup (considering as well I use realtime digital recordings ,as opposed to netmd) is a better sounding unit than the n505. I'd say between the n505 and the ipod, definitely for sound go with the ipod.

Aug 9, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 13
I use an iPod withe the 4P's. MP3's are ripped at 192VBR. I think they sound as good as PCDP. I am very, happy with this combo. One of the few I haven't sold. With 20 gigs of music I'm all set.

Aug 10, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 13
The Toshiba GigaBeat is out in Japan
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 13
It's toshiba's new ipod clone. . .

Personally, I'm a minidisc guy. I love my tiny Sony E900.
smily_headphones1.gif

But the ipod is a very interesting little machine. . .

Aug 10, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 13
I did actually get a chance to listen to the iPod with my Etys on Friday. But the MP3s were definitely at 128k, so the comparison with my MD was a no-brainer.

Any PJB-100 users around who have A/B ed with an MD player (using high quality MP3 rips on the PJB)

Jerome

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 13
Let's just wait for a player to come out with Ogg Vorbis support... (or better yet, MPC
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 12, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 13
You should try and listen to a Rio Riot as well. I use ripped everything at 160 WMA and think it sounds as good as my pcdp. I think that it sounds better than the ipod

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 13
I was very interested in the iPod until I found out that you can't replace the battery when it dies. I know it's rechargeable but eventually rechargeables die as well.

So when the battery dies you can no longer use the iPod?

The other thing that bothered me is no line out and no uploading of songs to the computer.

Aug 13, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I was very interested in the iPod until I found out that you can't replace the battery when it dies. I know it's rechargeable but eventually rechargeables die as well.

So when the battery dies you can no longer use the iPod?

The other thing that bothered me is no line out and no uploading of songs to the computer.

I've had my old 5 gig apart. There is a connector on the battery, so I would think it could be replaced. As far as uploading to a computer. There are third part aps that let you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back