iPod + Trance - Recommendations Needed
Dec 13, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Karawasa

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I came here once ago awhile back. I had asked as I am asking now, for some recommendations based on my player and music preference. Back then I was asking for headphones (and I'm very pleased with the recommendation, thanks guys), but now I come asking for earphone/earbuds.

I listen to Trance mostly, and I use my iPod to do it. I'm looking for earphones/earbuds that would be bust suited for Trance. I'm strapped for cash, so please only things that are under $50. I would prefer ones that are not in-canal, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance guys.

Evan

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 15
Only phones I could think of within that range are the Koss KSC75's, which costs $20 maybe less . I'm not very familiar with many sub $100 phones, though.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 15
i prefer a wide open sound stage for trance, so... sr60 might be a little too intimate. however, for 50$ what do you do? i have no idea. every headphone except for the ksc75 i have owned has been more than 50$.

if you like a very bassy trance, the ksc75 is good but soundstage is rather nominal if at all. actuallyperhaps any phone for that price will be nominal for soundstage. you could save up a little more (several more months and survive on the buds or whatever you have for the moment... save for some good phones with a soundstage so you can feel that you are in the club. if you get the koss, they are good for 20$ but they sound like 20$ phones and bass farters compared to just 3x the price, if you save... a great phone like the dt770 with soundstage, good bass and fast treble that will make you dance.

(i really only listen to trance and its tributaries and classic)

okay, im sorry, i misread your post... earphones for me has for some reason always meant headphones. i have the denonc700 and senn mx400 as well as atrio m5 and have owned a myriad of expensive armature based iems. you could get the good armatures for cheap ( i think somewhere was advertised the altec im716 for 49$) - that will be a little lean on bass, but have fast response for great dancing. my fav trance iem of all time has been the er4s (if only there was a little more bass) as it is fast and never delays on bass notes as some of the dual and triple driver phones do.

if you like speed, go for the altec, otherwise, even sennheiser cx300 is about that price and not a bad phone at all. i can get them here for around 32$ usd.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 15
If you're lookin at sub $50 earbuds, then by all means you should look into the yuin pk3 (about $39) or a pair of used yuin pk2. I personally own the pk3's and they sound pretty nice for the electronic based music that I listen to. They don't sound as good as, say..my es7 or sf5p, but they certainly hold their ground against the ksc75.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Dec 13, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 15
the sony are great actually for the price. but for the same price you can also go for the senns cx300 which are maybe a little more bassy. i find however that the sony ex51 to be easier to insert than both the sony ex71 and the senn cx300. any of those three will be a good choice.

they are probably the only good choice that will block a little noise as well as sound decent for around 50$. i have head that mylar phones are also good but... the build quality may make you buy another in a few months, so i cannot recommend them

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 15
Yeh the pk2's or the pk3's would probly be good. Probly the pk3 in your situation because they have a little more bass than the pk2's. There not very expensive eather.

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 15
$40 is usually the median price you'll see them for, and Yuin have recently increased their prices, so a brand new PK3 will retail at around $49 now!

They used to be $39 new, so anything around there I'd jump on em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back