iPod touch and Youtube
Jul 11, 2009 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
Over the past few days I have been unable to connect to Youtube with the Youtube App.It says loading but eventually gives up saying it cannot connect.

If I use Safari and go to the Youtube site I can open the main page but if I try to search it eventually comes up with the message that Safari cannot open the page because the server stopped responding

I have no trouble searching Youtube on my PC

I have version 3.0 installed.

I was able to connect without problems last week using the Touch

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Did you have OS 3 installed last week? OS 3 is known to give Wi-Fi issues to a lot of iPod touch users (me included).

Apple is working on 3.1, but no one knows when it'll be released or even if this issue will be fixed. There is a long thread on Apple's forums about the "Wi-Fi Fiasco" since 3.0.

Things that were suggested:

- In your wi-fi connection settings on the iPod touch, put HTTP Proxy to "Auto" instead of Off.
- Shutdown your iPod and turn it back on.
- Reset all settings, turn it off, turn it back on.
- Restore to new.

In all honesty, I did all of those and still have issues. Best to wait for a fix or if you're not faint of heart, downgrade back to 2.2.1.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 14
I had 3.0 installed and it was Working fine

It's only Youtube that is causing problems.I do not have any problems with other sites or e-mail

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had 3.0 installed and it was Working fine

It's only Youtube that is causing problems.I do not have any problems with other sites or e-mail

Odd. I just tried Youtube on my iPod touch OS 3 and at the moment, it's working fine.

Did you try restarting your touch? (hold the sleep button for a few seconds until the option comes up).

Jul 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW I've tried restoring but this didn't work

Someone wrote this on the Apple forums :

"I believe is the language that did not allow to connect, I had it changed to Spanish, and when I changed it back to English I was able to connect....."

Considering you're from the UK, I'm pretty sure you already set yours to English tho.

Or this might also help :

"'ll be darned - that really did work! I upgraded yesterday to 3.0 and the icon would not open youtube (cannot connect to youtube) and that was it. I could get there via safari browser no problem.

* open youtube icon (cannot connect)
* leave screen open (e.g. go to subscriptions and leave blank)
* plug into PC that is running itunes. It may not sync, but instead just charges and sits there.
* homepage and retry the youtube icon
* hey presto, it should all work.
* disconnect from USB
* reconnect to USB (and itunes) and itunes will auto sync again as normal.
"

Jul 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the help but still no luck

Youtube was working as normal for several weeks with 3.0 until about 4-5 days ago

Even if I use Safari I can only open the home page.I cannot play any videos or do any searching.

Both my PC and laptop running Vista with IE8 via the same router as the the Touch have no problem with Youtube

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 14
I've tried a full shutdown

Over the weekend I managed to connect to Youtube using the app four times but it's like 1 out of 15-20 attempts works

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's any consolation, I get a similar message about 15-20% of the time lately when trying to play YouTube videos on my LG EnV Touch.

I know there's a big difference between the two devices, but it would lend more towards it being a YouTube issue, than a hardware/mobile browser issue.

Wow I have to say, I'm impressed. One of the oldest members on this forum yet with less posts then some people who registered a week ago. Only speak when there's something really good to say, huh?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back