iPod Touch 7th Generation (2019)
May 28, 2019 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

alwass89

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if anyone is still interested in the iPod Touch, but it looks like Apple quietly released the 7th Gen model this morning.

The new model has the A10 chip, which they say has up to two times faster performance and up to three times faster graphics, and enables support for Group FaceTime and ARKit.

There is also a new 256GB option. This is the first time that an iPod has had more than the 160GB found in the iPod Classic. U.S. pricing is $199 for 32GB of storage, $299 for 128GB, and $399 for 256GB.

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

May 28, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 118
I use a iPod touch with a fiio q1ii amp regularly for work. Nice and easy to use

May 28, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 118
Yup, interested.
After years of fiddling around with hi-res and dedicated players, I came to the blasphemous conclusion (by head-fi standards) that my favourite source is the iPod Touch. Some competitors have more bass, some have more treble, some have a better stage, some have more output, etc. But for each of their benefits, they come with dozens of disadvantages like crappy battery (The Bit), UI issues (AK, iBasso, Luxury & Precision), playlist and tag issues (Fiio, Cayin, Sony), not-my-cup-of-tea-sound issues (Shanling, Hidisz), and some very annoying data/music transfer issues (anything running Android, including Onkyo/Pioneer).

iPods... not the best at anything, but present fairly uncoloured full bodied sound, drive my gear well, sound great with some (Dita The Truth, Focal Spirit Pro), very good with a bunch (Earsonics EM32, 64 Audio A5), just good with others (Westone ES60, Sony XBA-Z5). For additional tweaking, Onkyo, Denon and JetAudio amongst others have apps on the Apple App Store which can juice that extra treble, extra bass or extra stage width. And on all the usability aspects, as a classic Apple tagline used to say “It just works”. I managed almost 20 hours of non stop playback last weekend. In my experience, only Sony and Cowon come close. The other specialized brands are stuck to a power outlet after half that time.

I was about to buy another iPod Touch as a backup before they pulled the plug, and they go ahead and refresh the line. So yup, definitely happy about this and getting one next week.

May 28, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 118
Apple sort of disappointed me here, as this isn't exactly what I expected.

What did I expect? More of a gaming focused device to use with their new service, and the iPod (2019) isn't it. This is more of a slight spec bump that changes very little. Seems to hit the typical Apple cycle, where little is changed and the product is physically indistinguishable from its predecessor.

I've got a refurb 2015 version that I've been using for a bit and it's actually decent and does what I need it to do. This new version looks to rectify the one glaring issue I have: slow operation. The iPod drives all my gear (which is IEMs and one set of headphones) capably, has low enough OI that there's no hiss on anything I own, and is stable. I know what to expect out of the iPod. Also helps that I can use the Cipher cable with the iSines at work with the iPod, which is a big bonus for me. New model looks to do that a bit faster, and last a bit longer where updates are concerned.

Is this new iPod a game changer? No, not even close. But you might see a Space Gray iPod Touch in the F/S Forums coming this weekend. I'm interested.

May 28, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 118
Yup, interested.
After years of fiddling around with hi-res and dedicated players, I came to the blasphemous conclusion (by head-fi standards) that my favourite source is the iPod Touch. Some competitors have more bass, some have more treble, some have a better stage, some have more output, etc. But for each of their benefits, they come with dozens of disadvantages like crappy battery (The Bit), UI issues (AK, iBasso, Luxury & Precision), playlist and tag issues (Fiio, Cayin, Sony), not-my-cup-of-tea-sound issues (Shanling, Hidisz), and some very annoying data/music transfer issues (anything running Android, including Onkyo/Pioneer).

iPods... not the best at anything, but present fairly uncoloured full bodied sound, drive my gear well, sound great with some (Dita The Truth, Focal Spirit Pro), very good with a bunch (Earsonics EM32, 64 Audio A5), just good with others (Westone ES60, Sony XBA-Z5). For additional tweaking, Onkyo, Denon and JetAudio amongst others have apps on the Apple App Store which can juice that extra treble, extra bass or extra stage width. And on all the usability aspects, as a classic Apple tagline used to say “It just works”. I managed almost 20 hours of non stop playback last weekend. In my experience, only Sony and Cowon come close. The other specialized brands are stuck to a power outlet after half that time.

I was about to buy another iPod Touch as a backup before they pulled the plug, and they go ahead and refresh the line. So yup, definitely happy about this and getting one next week.

I can 100% see where you're coming from. I'm wiling to bet this thing will sound more than good enough for 99% of the people but run circles around any dap available in terms of speed and ease of use. Oh no... no DSD512 lol

May 29, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 118
I already have the 128gb iPod Touch 6G. I convert all of my songs to 256k AAC when syncing and I'm not even 1/4 of the way full on the storage. I will probably stick with what I have. I did just order a FiiO M6 to try out. I am tired of having to go through iTunes, but not the end of the world. I am sort of phasing out my FiiO X1 1G and FiiO X3 1G because neither player has bluetooth connectivity to my Toyota's head unit. I can still use the wired connection via 3.5mm cable, but I can't control everything through the head unit and steering wheel like I can with my iPod Touch. I would be curious to know if the sound quality is any different than the iPod Touch 6G. I'm assuming the DAC and amplification are the same and all they did was update it to the A10 CPU along with the larger, 256GB storage option. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 118
I already have the 128gb iPod Touch 6G. I convert all of my songs to 256k AAC when syncing and I'm not even 1/4 of the way full on the storage. I will probably stick with what I have. I did just order a FiiO M6 to try out. I am tired of having to go through iTunes, but not the end of the world. I am sort of phasing out my FiiO X1 1G and FiiO X3 1G because neither player has bluetooth connectivity to my Toyota's head unit. I can still use the wired connection via 3.5mm cable, but I can't control everything through the head unit and steering wheel like I can with my iPod Touch. I would be curious to know if the sound quality is any different than the iPod Touch 6G. I'm assuming the DAC and amplification are the same and all they did was update it to the A10 CPU along with the larger, 256GB storage option. Thanks.

I sorry if this doesn't help, but in your situation, I would actually replace your head unit with one that supports USB input (most, but some are now moving to Bluetooth audio) and just get the digital signal. And you keep all of the controls while getting the best sound quality.

I've been quite sad since I got my Toyota and don't have a new head unit installed yet and rely on Bluetooth.

You can also get one with Apple or Android car or whatever it is as well as other goodies.

I spent $350-400 and parts to install and self installed last time.

Just a thought.

Personally, I plan on replacing the head unit in my Toyota and trying to use Android auto, while playing audio from an ipod as I need the iTunes sync and keep track of my play counts capability that there really isn't a comparable product with that functionality (I'm a data junky ). This will be painful.

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 118
I plan to pick up the 256 gb version at some point :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 118
Yup, interested.

Also if you own any of the Audeze iSine series for IEM's then the Lightning Cipher cable as a DAC is just totally off the hook!

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 118
Not only that I don't like Apple products, but I think that even an old LG V30 with a 512 GB micro SD is fantastic value and a better music player.

Yes but it doesn't sync up with my music from iTunes very easily. So that's a no go.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 118
Jun 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #15 of 118
I can 100% see where you're coming from. I'm wiling to bet this thing will sound more than good enough for 99% of the people but run circles around any dap available in terms of speed and ease of use. Oh no... no DSD512 lol

Hah! And right you were. That didn’t take long to be brought up :

Forget about itunes, move on to DSD, you will be impressed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back