ipod touch 4 vs iphone 4
Mar 20, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 16
Yes. iPhone 4 has less output impedance, less distortion and better crosstalk performance. Hence is audibly better. In fact it's the best sounding handheld around (aside from some boutique brick)

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 16
It depends on the headphones you are using but if i was to grade both headphones out i'd say iPhone 4 is a solid A+ and iPod Touch 4 is an A-. It's a slight difference but it's there and it's audible.

Mar 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 16
If you are using the line out then i don't think much difference it's to be heard between the Touch or the iPhone. The built in amp is the main difference (Being a tad better on the iPhone).

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 16
From an objective point of view (Properly driven tests) the iPhone 4 trumps the Galaxy S in key parameters like output impedance and stereo crosstalk that are not likely to be overcome by software tweaks (Specially the output impedance).

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
From an objective point of view (Properly driven tests) the iPhone 4 trumps the Galaxy S in key parameters like output impedance and stereo crosstalk that are not likely to be overcome by software tweaks (Specially the output impedance).

really so cirus logic is better then wolfson?

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 16
I don't think i can say one brand is better than the other cause i don't even know their portfolio. I suppose that both Wolfson and Cirrus are more than capable to manufacture good sound chips but that says nothing about its later implementation on actual devices.

What i do know is that the iPhone 4 headphone out is better than the headphone out of the Samsung Galaxy S. If we were talking cars here i'd say the iPhone 4 is a faster car. But hey subjectively you might like better a slower car.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #11 of 16
I think people need to get over the whole wolfson vs. cirrus logic thing.
deadhorse.gif
There's more to it than just the chip....

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I think people need to get over the whole wolfson vs. cirrus logic thing.
deadhorse.gif
There's more to it than just the chip....

I concur. That Wolfson = greatness proposition is utterly oversimplistic and ludicrous. It just serves to know that the guy who posted it has no idea of audio hardware and basically does not know what he's talking about thus you will be better finding advice from someone else.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Likewise I would say the headphone out on my iPod Nano 6G 8gb is vastly superior to the headphone out of my iPod Video 80gb and the 6G classic 80gb before it, even though I prefer the Video's lineout.

There is no contest; the Nano 6g sounds large and dimensional with an even fr (although the player's sound is of the brighter variety) out of the headphone jack through my Klipsch Custom 3. The iPod Video on the other hands sounds bassy, dark, sibilant, and has a collapsed soundstage. With higher impedance cans the difference isn't so though.

The biggest issue is implementation. It would be neat to be able to hear the iPod video's wolfson against the classics specific cirrus logic model in players that are free from output impedance issues. Its silly to suggest that one is better than the otherwhile completely ignoring that companies do make different products at different performance levels.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I concur. That Wolfson = greatness proposition is utterly oversimplistic and ludicrous. It just serves to know that the guy who posted it has no idea of audio hardware and basically does not know what he's talking about thus you will be better finding advice from someone else.

im still a kid i just read that it was good for a phone :p i guess i finally have an excuse for an ipod classic

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Likewise I would say the headphone out on my iPod Nano 6G 8gb is vastly superior to the headphone out of my iPod Video 80gb and the 6G classic 80gb before it, even though I prefer the Video's lineout.

There is no contest; the Nano 6g sounds large and dimensional with an even fr (although the player's sound is of the brighter variety) out of the headphone jack through my Klipsch Custom 3. The iPod Video on the other hands sounds bassy, dark, sibilant, and has a collapsed soundstage. With higher impedance cans the difference isn't so though.

The biggest issue is implementation. It would be neat to be able to hear the iPod video's wolfson against the classics specific cirrus logic model in players that are free from output impedance issues. Its silly to suggest that one is better than the otherwhile completely ignoring that companies do make different products at different performance levels.

Blame it on the lower output impedance of the current iPod Nano. Output impedance is the single most important parameter to drive earphones properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back