Ipod thefts finally came to the big city
Feb 16, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Uh, didn't a bunch of members here collectively send you money after you openly cried the blues on this forum, complaining your previous pair were stolen? And you ended up selling them off for cash???

No good deed goes unpunished, or something like that
rolleyes.gif
. Lesson learned.

I remembered that but didnt open my mouth about it. I dont think it was the right thing to do either but apparently she is skipping meals because of cash shortage...

I mean...we cannot verify these things :-

* Is she a she
* Is she really in dire straits
* Did she really lose her first pair

So - by HeadFi tradition I say we give her the benefit of the doubt. But I say this with a few reservations...

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Uh, didn't a bunch of members here collectively send you money after you openly cried the blues on this forum, complaining your previous pair were stolen? And you ended up selling them off for cash???

rolleyes.gif
. Lesson learned.

IIRC, she needed to selll the second pair for groceries. Some of us do need to eat to survive. =)

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 38
Yeah, as in I got laid off. I'm having to sell the REST of my rig to pay rent most likely. Note that this time, I actually need the money, and I'm not whining about it nor am I accepting any money from the people here.

Unless of course you buy whatever I'm going to sell.

Considering the other things I did sell first, to pay other bills and keep me from having to just stop eating entirely, I tried to hold out on selling audio stuff as long as possible, since I just got most of it. -.-'

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
. Lesson learned.

Head-fiers actually sent her money? God, you guys are pathetic.

To get back on topic, i imagine these iPods are being stolen to be re-sold on the street, so if you start seeing these street vendors popping up in Chinatown and Greenwich village with used iPods, ya know where they got them from. Personally, i'd alert a cop to something like that. I use my ugly 7506's with my Zen Micro which generally stays in my jacket pocket. Too bad Creative made the damn thing with a white casing.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Head-fiers actually sent her money? God, you guys are pathetic.

Her phones (first pair of shures) were stolen, and she posted about, like any of us would. People offered, no were bent on helping, even though she didn't want them too whatsoever. It shows more the caring and friendliness of head-fi members, I would say.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #21 of 38
i walk to work with a bag, can't help that. but the ipod is in the bag, and the only thing poking out is an ugly black cord to cheesy koss clips. yeah, take em if you want. i'm surrounded by a sea of ipod white buds, so odds are i'm the last to be snatched for the stashed 40gig ipod and SR71 hiding in my bag.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Yeah, as in I got laid off. I'm having to sell the REST of my rig to pay rent most likely. Note that this time, I actually need the money, and I'm not whining about it nor am I accepting any money from the people here.

Unless of course you buy whatever I'm going to sell.

Considering the other things I did sell first, to pay other bills and keep me from having to just stop eating entirely, I tried to hold out on selling audio stuff as long as possible, since I just got most of it. -.-'

Been there...am there...still doing that
eggosmile.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 38
Feb 16, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #24 of 38
Soon is subjective, like maybe next month, or the month after. I wasn't talking about next week or tomorrow. I'm hoping that my ex-boss will stop jerking me around and let me come to work at the other location. Really, I don't have a choice, I can't be jobless for two months, I have to find SOMETHING by the middle of March or I'm going to be homeless.

So, eventually I'll have disposable income again. I won't stay jobless forever.

At least I can probably buy the E3cs back from the friend I "sold" them to. I can't get back the garnet earrings I had to sell a week and a half ago that my mother bought for me at an estate sale when I was 12.

It's not going to be the last thing sold either. Rent's coming up again, and so the CD player, my pimeta and my home headphones will all likely get tossed up on the block unless I find something pretty darn quick.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 38
I think cori is a girl judging from some earlier posted pics and stuff...

Besides - any headfier in need is a headfier and is an A-OK on my list...

Hope you get out of this rut soon and stop spending until you do
wink.gif

Im out...got a job thats only 5 hours a day and pays enough for me to have some fun. Im still looking for a better paying job but this one is fun...PCB layouts, testing...DIY dream stuff
tongue.gif
LOL

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #26 of 38
Back on topic,
someone noted on another news board, it's obvious some people keep the white ipod earphones as a status icon. Status is a big thing in NYC, just like what car you drive out in LA.
But we've all seen the person who holds on to their Ipod as in the commercials.
Of course, in this city when you're hold it like that, expect to be jostled on your commute and that thing you're holding may slip off your hand. They would flaunt their ipod but that $10,000 engagement ring they remember to turn the stone around. Mind you many people don't even take home $300/week.
I for one don't want 44 stitches for some material goods.
I've also didn't see any of these stolen ipods in Chinatown or GV or any street vendor. I think it's more of an opportunity purchase, for instance, an addict would saunter in to a local take out place and pawn off the goods. Just like the lobsters that fell off the truck and sold at discount prices to restaurants in the morning. You don't ask where they got it.
edit to add, I think cops have more important things to do in NYC for instance terrorism alert.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Her phones (first pair of shures) were stolen, and she posted about, like any of us would. People offered, no were bent on helping, even though she didn't want them too whatsoever. It shows more the caring and friendliness of head-fi members, I would say.

That comment was more of a poke at males and the way they react when a female (or supposedly a female) arrives on head-fi...

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
That comment was more of a poke at males and the way they react when a female (or supposedly a female) arrives on head-fi...

Supa!

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #29 of 38
It wouldn't have been too long. Pretty easy to swipe, and better odds it has something good in it unlike a wallet. Plus the white headphones stick out like a highlighter... makes it for an easy catch.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #30 of 38
i would just have to karate chop their @$$ if they even think of stealing my iPod. plus i dont use the iPoop, so i'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back