IPOD: stores data?
Sep 18, 2002 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
i have a partner photographer who needs more backup space for trips with his laptop and cameras to store digital photos on... would the Ipod work for this? (store photos and transfer to home pc)?? other options besides this? thanks,

Chris

Sep 18, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 14
When plugged into a computer, the iPod acts as a normal hard drive, so you can copy anything to and from it. If you just need a small portable hard drive to plug into the computer, there are cheaper options, rather than getting the ipod, unless you also want to use it as an mp3 player. Check out the Firefly and Firelite drives from www.smartdisk.com . The good thing about the iPod that is can power itself, which is necessary for laptops with 4-pin firewire ports. USB can provide power for portable USB drives though.

The iPod won't connect to digital cameras to copy data, though, if that's what you're asking.

Sep 18, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
The iPod won't connect to digital cameras to copy data, though, if that's what you're asking.

I heard that it will... provided your digicam has a FireWire port
smily_headphones1.gif
(which there aren't too many of, of course)

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil

I use a hard drive device called "digital wallet" from Minds@work. It's a portable hard drive with PCMCIA slot. You can copy files from/to the memory card of your digital camera through a PCMCIA adaptor. And you can transfer files to/from computer through USB (or firewire for the lastest version). I found it perfect for storing pictures on the road.

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 14
ok thanks. sorry i should have been more specific, but you still solved my question.

chris

is it Minds@work?

whats the addy on the net?
t
ahnks,

chris

the pcmcia card hard drive::: so you just plug your cameras memory card into it and it downloads without a computer??

Sep 18, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3

the pcmcia card hard drive::: so you just plug your cameras memory card into it and it downloads without a computer??

Right, you don't need a computer to transfer files, it has a build-in controller to do the job.

Here is the link

Sep 19, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 14
So, anyone if you can transfer directly from camera to ipod? I mean, I know the firewire interface allows for this. . . but has anyone done it?

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
So, anyone if you can transfer directly from camera to ipod? I mean, I know the firewire interface allows for this. . . but has anyone done it?

For a fact, it doesn't have this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back