iPod Sound Problem
Jun 18, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

azn_baller

Head-Fier
I got my 6gb iPod Mini working a couple days ago. And after two days of usage,on the third day theres a fuzzy sound. It sounds like bass but longer and fuzzy. It happends every 3-4 seconds and it happeneds on all of my songs. The day before the fuzzinest started, I charged my iPod over night. And I dropped it once but after the drop it worked good untill the next morning. Also the fuzzy sound only happeneds on the left earbud. Can it be the earphones? Well hope you guys can help.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 53
Its most likely the earphones. I experienced the same "fuzziness" in one ear (after a few months of use). It seems that the cord that comes out of it gets stretched and contributes to the "fuzziness" in the sound. It can usually be remedied by pushing the wire back up into the earbud, but this is only a temporary solution. In the long run you would be far better off purchasing an(y) other pair of headphones. For as little as $20 - 25 you will find far better quality than the stock earbuds have to offer in their best state.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 53
I don't have experiences with earphones... at all. I also like the iPod's earbuds, so stylish and looks flashy. Well I'll try formating my iPod and readding and trying with other earphones. Keep posting!

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 53
I don't have experiences with earphones... at all. I also like the iPod's earbuds, so stylish and looks flashy. Well I'll try formating my iPod and ReAdding and trying with other earphones. Keep posting!

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 53
It's an iPod feature
orphsmile.gif

But seriously, have you tried the earphones in anything else, or other earphones in the Mini? Cause I know for the fact that the iPod earphones are a steaming pile of crap.

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by azn_baller
I got my 6gb iPod Mini working a couple days ago. And after two days of usage,on the third day theres a fuzzy sound. It sounds like bass but longer and fuzzy. It happends every 3-4 seconds and it happeneds on all of my songs. The day before the fuzzinest started, I charged my iPod over night. And I dropped it once but after the drop it worked good untill the next morning. Also the fuzzy sound only happeneds on the left earbud. Can it be the earphones? Well hope you guys can help.

The eq is on mostly.. going into setting and turn the eq off and see if that fixes it..

Jun 18, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
The eq is on mostly.. going into setting and turn the eq off and see if that fixes it..

I have tried putting the eq on bass booster, bassreducer, tremble booster, tremble reducer, vocal booster and I have but it on off. The same fuzzinest happends. I've also used the earbuds with the computer and yup it has to be the earbuds. It happends to the left earbud again. And what does EQ stand for? Thanks.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

I have tried putting the eq on bass booster, bassreducer, tremble booster, tremble reducer, vocal booster and I have but it on off. The same fuzzinest happends. I've also used the earbuds with the computer and yup it has to be the earbuds. It happends to the left earbud again. And what does EQ stand for? Thanks.

EQ stands for equalizer. If changing headphones makes the issue disappear then you might want to try to get new earbuds, or regular headphones depending on your prefrences. There are also in-ear-monitor or also known as canalphones. You've probably heard about them alot around here. They're an excellent combination of extra small size and excellent isolation. Here is a list I conjured up that might strike your fancy
etysmile.gif
with selections from different types of 'phones that you might want to try for your start in the world of head-fi:

Headphones (type that go over your head like this
orphsmile.gif
)

-Sennheiser PX100 (open)
-Sennheiser HD201 (sealed cans)
-Sennheiser HD202 (sealed cans)
-Sennheiser HD497 (opened cans)
-Grado SR60 (opened cans)

Earphones (type that rest just on your ear like the standard iPod ones)
-Sennheiser MX400
-Sennheiser MX450
-Sennheiser MX500

Canalphones (type that go in your ear canal, like this
etysmile.gif
)

-Shure E2c
-Shure E3/c
-Etymotic ER-6
-Etymotic ER-6i (made specially for the iPod)
-Future Sonics EM-3

If anyone else has other suggestiong please add. If you dig the crappy sounding white coloured earphones that come with your iPod, the Etymotic ER-6i's should make you feel just right at home. The only problem is that there are alot of complaints that the 3 flanged earplug on it is too long for some users. The solution that many have used for the ER-6i's is to cut of the outer most (smallest) flange. The ones that I have listed here are mostly the ones that are designed to not break the budget but yet provide an excellent sound. Although the prices really start to increase when you look at the canalphones. So you might want to take your wallet into consideration before you start looking at the really high-end canalphones.
etysmile.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 53
How can anyone forget the Koss range of portable cans.
I will recommend the following

Koss KSC-35
Koss KSC-55
Koss KSC-75

Whatever might be the rep on Koss fullsize cans, their portables rock.

Jun 18, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

iPod earphones are bad? Hmmmm thats new to me.

you are in the wrong forum. haha. do yourself a favor, ditch the buds, and at least upgrade to HD201s or KSC35s

Quote:

I also like the iPod's earbuds, so stylish and looks flashy.

anyone else feel the exact opposite? personally, these guys kinda look like an army of zombie pod users.

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
anyone else feel the exact opposite? personally, these guys kinda look like an army of zombie pod users.

IMO they look like cheap toys, oversized, blatantly plastic. In comparison with other earbuds, they look like... well toys (repeating myself).

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 53
I don't really know anything about earphones. I'll probly go to future shop or something and ask them which ones are good, look has a lot to do with which one I buy so I'll check out some of the ones you've suggested on the net. But why don't you guys like the iPod buds? I think they're flashy because, when you wear them people know your listening to an iPod so they'll be like: oooooooo he has an iPod! Well thats my opinion. And what are canal earphones or whatever?
Thanks

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
EQ stands for equalizer. If changing headphones makes the issue disappear then you might want to try to get new earbuds, or regular headphones depending on your prefrences. There are also in-ear-monitor or also known as canalphones. You've probably heard about them alot around here. They're an excellent combination of extra small size and excellent isolation. Here is a list I conjured up that might strike your fancy
etysmile.gif
with selections from different types of 'phones that you might want to try for your start in the world of head-fi:

Headphones (type that go over your head like this
orphsmile.gif
)

-Sennheiser PX100 (open)
-Sennheiser HD201 (sealed cans)
-Sennheiser HD202 (sealed cans)
-Sennheiser HD497 (opened cans)
-Grado SR60 (opened cans)

Earphones (type that rest just on your ear like the standard iPod ones)
-Sennheiser MX400
-Sennheiser MX450
-Sennheiser MX500

Canalphones (type that go in your ear canal, like this
etysmile.gif
)

-Shure E2c
-Shure E3/c
-Etymotic ER-6
-Etymotic ER-6i (made specially for the iPod)
-Future Sonics EM-3

If anyone else has other suggestiong please add. If you dig the crappy sounding white coloured earphones that come with your iPod, the Etymotic ER-6i's should make you feel just right at home. The only problem is that there are alot of complaints that the 3 flanged earplug on it is too long for some users. The solution that many have used for the ER-6i's is to cut of the outer most (smallest) flange. The ones that I have listed here are mostly the ones that are designed to not break the budget but yet provide an excellent sound. Although the prices really start to increase when you look at the canalphones. So you might want to take your wallet into consideration before you start looking at the really high-end canalphones.
etysmile.gif

Ok well the ones that go over your head are way out of the question... not very portable in my view. And the canal or what ever 100 dollar earphones are also out of the question. So I guess I'm left with the normal bud earphones... I'll check it out. And what do you suggest I get that are normal bud phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back