iPod/RSA Protector vs. HiFiMan HM-801?
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this is another apples to oranges comparison question (I thought the comparison between the JH-13 Pro and the HD800 was an apples to oranges question too, but that thread did get pretty heated). Recently, I heard the HiFiMan HM-801 and I thought it was a brilliant little machine. At the same time, everyone is also talking about how brilliant the Protector is (especially in balanced mode). This just begs the question; which is better, the iPod/RSA Protector or the HiFiMan HM-801? Despite the differences; pluses and minuses of each system, which one ultimately delivers the best sound quality?

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 12
I have Hifiman and i think Hifiman + Protector
atsmile.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 12
That is just too funny. The idea behind the HiFiMan was that it has its own superior DAC and amplifier already in it. Why would you bypass the HiFiMan's amp? Just for the balanced outputs? We are talking 1980's style bulky portability with this combo.
How does the HiFiMan on its own compare with the iPod/Protector combo?

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 12
The protector is a better amp then the Hifiman's on board most likely.. of that I have no doubt.. but the DAC on the hifiman outclasses anything else in the portable field (and a lot of desktop DACs too)

And everything starts with the source.. frankly portable headphone amps are severely overrated on head-fi.. a DAC is where the money is worth spending on, far more then the amp

For reference: I've compared the Hifiman's onboard amp with the PICO amp and Headstage Arrow and found no difference between them at all.. until I've started moving switches with the Arrow but that kills the purity for me so I left everything on '0'.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And everything starts with the source.. frankly portable headphone amps are severely overrated on head-fi.. a DAC is where the money is worth spending on, far more then the amp

I actually stated in the hifiman thread that they should release a version without an amp. It would cost less and you'd be able to do your own thing for the amp. If it was looking for a portable HiFi experience that would definitely catch my eye.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what you are saying is, that because the HiFiMan has a superior DAC, it is better than the iPod/Protector combo?

Well I imagine when you write ipod you actually mean imod/diymod because the ipod is such a weak source (IMHO) that pairing it with a protector is.. well 1)not doing the amp justice and 2) nowhere up to par of the hifiman (disclaimer: I haven't heard the protector but I know the differences an amp can do and a difference a DAC can do, and the DAC is far more revealing of differences)

as for Imod+protector.. I haven't heard it so I won't make comments as if I did.. but its still a 'decent' dac + 'okay' analog path (imod) compared to a outstanding dac with a opa627 op-amp (hifiman)

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 12
To throw something else into the mix. The MB-1 or 2, that will be released by Ryuzoh and made by iBasso, is a dual Wolfsan dac optical only portable. The sound is excellent and pairs beautifully with the Protector. What this does of course is require that you either use an iRiver H120 or H140 or the optical out of a computer but for home or portable use the combination is truly high end for portable and for most home use. The MB-1 or 2 is the same size as an iRiver but about 1.5 inches shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back