iPod refuses to be detected by my computer
Dec 13, 2004 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, this is becoming very frustrating. I'm no computer newbie, yet I can't get an iPod to work? It'll charge by usb, but will not be detected by iTunes, the iPod updater, or the installation disk to configure it. Any ideas?

Dec 13, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 8
First of all, how old is your computer?

Second, which operating system are you running?

If you answer those two questions, then maybe we can answer your question.

Dec 13, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Heh..I have a computer at home that does the same sort of thing. I don't use ot to load music but I wish I could get it sorted. Anyway running
1) Abouts a year
2) Windows XP SP 1
Basically windows recognises it but there is an error- unknown device or something- iTunes doesn't recognise it. Reinstalling the cd just makes the computer freeze.

Oh and I use Firewire.

Dec 13, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 8
skitlets, trust me on this one...

Go to a different forum for your iPod troubles.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...YO.0@.3bb85fdc

This is Apple's discussion forum for folks with iPods connecting to Windows. It is not manned by Apple employees, but by philanthropic techies who just want to help out others. I have been there many times and have posted and have gotten quick and user-friendly solutions. The search is good, too. There are about a half dozen dedicated experts who regularly post and amazingly answer the same questions over and over and over again. I would totally suggest you go there.

I got answers to the following issues:

. how to connect two ipods to one PC where musical tastes of the two users are very divergent (two accounts, two libraries).
. what firewire card to buy that would be the best fit for my PC and the iPod sync (Adaptec 4300)?
. problems with my headphone jack (exchanged the ipod).
. problems with slow sync times (rolling back SP2 firewire drivers to SP1).

The tech support for iPods on that forum is really quite helpful.

- walkman666

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, I'll check out those forums. btw, I'm running xp pro sp2.

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 8
I had some trouble with my recently purchased 4G iPod, until I updated the iPod software and iTunes to the latest version (3.02 for the iPod software, 4.7 for iTunes).

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Good move, skitlets. One of the first suggestions you will likely get is to add a firewire PCI card to your computer (i.e. to avoid the USB interface). Most of the problems folks have with connecting an iPod to windows seem to go away after installing a $30 PCI card. The Adaptec 4300 (or 1430, I believe, for laptops) is the card that seems to get the most recommendations, least subsequent problems, and is on the official Apple list of hardware devices that are suggested for iPod connectivity. I am not a very mechanically-inclined person, but it took me only 5 minutes to pop this card into my PC, and for windows XP (home, not professional) to recognize it and install the drivers. This card is readily available at CompUSA, Best Buy, Amazon.com, etc. You'll also get suggestions to:

. reset your iPod
. restore your iPod (which you probably cannot do, since it's not being recognized)
. uninstall your iPod and iTunes software and then reinstall (either using your original CD or the latest firmware from the Apple site).

The folks in the Apple discussion forums will want to know, as you have indicated:

the type of iPod you have, your windows platform, your type of connection (USB), and the exact nature of the problem (e.g. if you get any kind of error message).

My suggestions likely consist of the universe of possible remedies for you, but not in any order. The gurus over there will have more knowledge to share (and undoubtedly will suggest you get that thar firewire card and try that out; it's not the catch-all, but it does seem to cure many folks's problems).

good luck, - walkman666

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 8
thanks for all the help, but thankfully i didn't have to resort to an additional firewire card. Where it didn't work before on my brothers computer, it now does!! Can't wait till all these transfer finish so I can groove out with my newly returned-from-warranty-replacement shure e2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back