iPod questions
Oct 31, 2002 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a 10gb iPod for 299.99 + tax, thinking it was a good deal. But, I forgot to double-check at the store and came home with a MAC version (even though I asked someone at the store whether or not it was a PC-compatible version, and the idiot told me yes). So here are my questions...

1)I believe this is a slightly older version of the 10gb MAC ipod, because its model number is different (lower) than that which is on the Apple site for the same product. The model # is M8709LL/A. Is there any appreciable difference between this older version and the current one? I assume that it's a difference in firmware, and that the older one has a user interface which is perhaps less feature-rich, or not as easy to use (?). But, are there any other differences? Something substantial, like sound quality, battery life, etc...?

2)Is there a way to use this mac version as a PC version?

3)Considering what this really is, is 300+tax still a good deal? Should I try to return it and have them ship/give me the equivalent PC version, and if not just get my money back?

thanks

Oct 31, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 16
You'll need to convert it into a Windows Ipod. I dont have the direct link, but if you go to the Apple website, you'll be able to find the windows updater, and the latest firmware.

For more info, go to Ipod Lounge (it'll have direct links on the files in the forums).

Also, to tell if you got a new one or not, old 10gig ipods came with the scroll wheel (mechanical, the wheel turns), while the new 10 and 20 gig versions came with a touchpad (like laptops have).

Also new versions come bundled with a case, and a remote.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Not that I need confirmation, since the model # told me that it's an older version, but the picture on the front of the box is of an iPod with a scroll wheel, and the package includes neither a remote nor a case (according to the description on the outside).

It makes sense. After all, they aren't likely to sell the latest 10gb models for 299.99, grand re-opening sale or not. The question is how much better are the newer models? I wasn't even planning on getting this, but decided to pick it up (hoping it was a good deal) before they ran out, so I could think about it. Maybe a better deal will come my way during the next few months.

Opinions are not only welcome, but required.

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 16
Some people think the new solid state scrollwheel is better, some think the mechanical is better. I've had both and find both to be equally fine. All you are missing out on is the case (OK not great) and the remote (nice to have).

You should be able to download the Windows firmware from the Apple site. You could try this link
http://www.info.apple.com/usen/ipodwin/

As far as $299. That seems like a good price.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Jackangel
The question is how much better are the newer models? I wasn't even planning on getting this, but decided to pick it up (hoping it was a good deal) before they ran out, so I could think about it. Maybe a better deal will come my way during the next few months.

There are no differences in the new models accept:

1. New 10gig models are a couple of millimeters thinner.
2. New 10 & 20 gig models come with a case and remote.
3. New 5/10/20gig models all come with updated/upgraded/better earphones.
4. New models come with newer firmware, which support clock features, calander, etc... All of which is fully upgradable via new firmware which can be downloaded from the apple website.

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 16
As far as the scroll wheels go, I have both (an older 5 Gig and a newer 20 Gig), and prefer the older, mechanical scrollwheel. But that's me.........you may find you like the newer one.
And as far as the fact that "New 5/10/20gig models all come with updated/upgraded/better earphones" goes................they (the earphones) are still pretty bad. Just about anything else is better, to my ears at least.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Ok then. I get the clear impression that there are no significant differences (i.e., the differences mentioned are minor imho).

As long as the sound is just as good (no reason why it shouldn't be, but tight-asses like me have to ask) and the functionality can be brought up fully to date via upgrading, there's no reason not to keep it. And, so far, my search for better prices on the 'net has turned up nothing that gets closer than 20 dollars to the pre-tax price I paid (and with none of the usual benefits of dealing with a b&m store, of course).

So, as long as it works fine on a Win/PC platform, and it isn't defective, I shall keep it.

p.s. hehe, as if the stock headphones on any piece of equipment matter to me (or most anyone here).

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:10 AM Post #8 of 16
I remeber seeing on apple's wesite saying that the newer ipod has a more powerful amp (20mw for the older one and 60mw for the newer version). If it's true then the newer one might sound a little better? Any thoughts on that?

Nov 1, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Y-Z
I remeber seeing on apple's wesite saying that the newer ipod has a more powerful amp (20mw for the older one and 60mw for the newer version). If it's true then the newer one might sound a little better? Any thoughts on that?

Nope... both new and old ipods have 30mW per channel.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Well, I opened the ipod package finally to check it out, and found what I was somewhat expecting: a firewire cable with 6-pin connectors on both ends. So, I can't use it with this laptop. The the 6 to 4 pin adapter shipped with PC versions gave me the clue, but I opened it anyway. Funny how not a single place mentions this incompatability. Do newer models come with a 6 to 4 pin adapter, regardless of whether they're originally for the Mac or the PC?

I suppose I'll have to buy an adapter separately, but I don't think I want to. Even an extra penny's worth of expense I find distasteful. As if headphones aren't indulgent enough, but an ipod...

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 16
http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

At the bottom it notes that the PC model includes a 4 to 6 pin adapter. Unfortunately you got the older Mac model rather than the new PC model so obviously it didn't include one, but there is where a compatability issue could be inferred. New Mac models don't include one.
I hope that you can find the will to get an adapter and are able to get one without too much trouble. The iPod rocks, and I paid almost full price for my 10 gig, but I don't miss the money at all.

Nov 5, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 16
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about that shortly after I posted and realized that would be the easy way to do it. Just go to Best Buy or something and pick one up.

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 16
I am aware of the 6 to 4 pin adapter, as well as the 6 to 4 pin cable I mentioned. Places like firewire depot have all of that, but places like Best Buy, for example, didn't have a 6 to 4, or an adapter. Perhaps the ones you know of do have them, but not the one I called. And if I did find a 6 to 4 pin cable in a store, it's likely to be something like the 6ft Belkin cable, which is 40 dollars (overkill and overpriced for my money).

And I'm also aware of what it says on the Apple site, but what I was referring to earlier were message forums on the web (like this one, only geared towards ipod discussion) that discussed how to convert a Mac ipod to a Win ipod. Even though I had my doubts (because of checking the Apple site, as I mentioned), I decided to open it up and see if there was some way to get it to work, because the message forums didn't mention any need to buy another cable (which is fairly important imho). Perhaps foolish, but it cost me nothing, since I could always return it.

And return it I have, after too much hassle with the store where I bought it. So all of this is moot, because I never felt quite right about spending that much money for an MP3 player, because it is a wasteful indulgence imho. I've already spent on enough on a D-25s, MDR-7506, and DT-770.

Thanks for all your input, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back