iPod: Not Able to Play Vorbis?
Jun 5, 2004 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nogrot

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 6, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm not sure it needs a very big grain of salt, if you think about it, he is actually giving Apple an 'out' so to speak, by saying that their hardware isn't up to 'snuff' Apple can easily use that as an excuse for their current iteration of the iPod, and thus end the discussion. However, if they continue not to offer support, even in newer models (mini included) then that is them just ignoring their customer base. Based on this reasoning, it is interesting to look at that slashdot link as apparently someone from xiph.org is saying that the current outcropping of iPod's should be able to run it, and thus putting Apple back in an awkward position.

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
...and thus putting Apple back in an awkward position.

Interesting point, but I don't think that Apple really needs that. I would love for Apple to include the ability to play ogg files in a new firmware update, however I really wonder how it would benefit them. They have already spent a lot of r&d on their AAC codec and I find it to be quite worthy for my listening habits. It also seems to use much less battery time for me than MP3's of similar/slightly bigger size.

But who knows, they did compile their own binaries of X11 for their users, so maybe they'll aid the hardcore GPL/*nix geeks by adding ogg to their portable music player someday.

Jun 6, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Battery loss on 5020 can be cut 25% compared to 5003. mp3 will always use less resources and less battery (i.e. long battery run times). At least until somebody rewrites the decoding routine for Vorbis to be more efficient.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

While apple have not implemented ogg support into the iPod, the Linux on iPod project has clearly proved that the iPod's hardware is capable of it.

Actually, they have proved the opposite. They can't get OGG to run on the iPod faster than 80% realtime. Here's a quote from their faq:
Quote:

3.3 Is there a OGG player

The Tremor player is running at about 80% real-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back