iPod nano screen cracking problems
Sep 22, 2005 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, with trepidation I post this as the Head-Fi Echo Chamber has a issue with repeating problems until they're out of proportion (course its the same with inflating/deflating sound quality rankings, etc.)...

Seems some are having problems with the nano screen. Not sure how small or widespread this is, but something to be aware of. We'll see how this develops, but it's potentially very bad news.

As seen on DAPreview.com.

Sep 22, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 42
Im guessing its weakness is pressure on specific points?, since the Arstechnica review clearly showed it can take quite a beating from impact..

come to think of it, the first thing to go was the lcd when they ran over it with the car.

I hope this is not the case with most Nanos as i planned to buy one.

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 42
Damn where is a camcorder and iMovie when you need it!

The plot: Joe every guy is using his nano and sticks it in his pocket just like steve said he could. Oh My Gosh, the screen cracks.....

Poor Joe goes down to the Apple Store (with camera crew in tow) and tells his sad story to the uncaring and indifferent Apple Store clerks who tell him that the screen can be replaced for $219 or he could just buy a new one.

Poor Joe then goes on a poster/grafitti campaign through out San Francisco (camera crew again in tow) putting up a pictures of a Nano with a cracked screen and a circle with a line through it overlayed on top.

They get home, post their little movie on the web and soon choruses of "APPLE SUX" are heard through out the land.

I know that I feel saved

Sep 22, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 42
We went from a handful of gogo Nano threads to Nano issues threads, heh.

As long as the Nano LCD doesn't look like it was karate chopped in half, Apple warranty just replaces entire unit for free right?

Sep 22, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
the uncaring and indifferent Apple Store clerks

In regards to the "Geniuses," you forgot arrogant, elitist, rude, deaf, blind, and often clueless at the point of stupid.

Sep 23, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 42
Hmmm... Apple's quality has been going down ever since they released the 4g. Its quite disappointing...

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 42
definately not all nanos have this issue.
Mine's super tough... but damn is my black nano all scratched up after a week
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 42
Doh!

I had a feeling the screen would crack easily. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that thin/flimsy case + LCD + Flexing = broken LCD.

I was hoping the casing would be more durable than that, but feeling one at the Apple store and seeing the case shell thickness (or lack thereof) in the take apart pics online do not inspire confidence.

The Nano is going to need a rigid protective case for sure.

-Ed

Sep 23, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 42
yea, but the LCD is a pretty important part.... unless you like trying to remember all of the 2 or 4gb of songs you have on there, and how exactly to access each one
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 42
well,.. yes..., unless you want a 2-4 gig shuffle.....
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n
..Other than the LCD the Nano is a tank!

I bought a Nokia 3510i a couple of years ago. Very well build with a solid screen protector that did not touch the LCD. Dropped it once from 1/2 meter (less then two feet) the next day and the LCD cracked. Got a replacement and dropped it maybe 30 times and nothing happend. Sometimes you are just unlucky. My guess is that the Nano is not more prone to LCD cracking then any other electronic device, just don't sit on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back