ipod nano 8gb VS sony nwz - S638F
Nov 1, 2008 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chicco

New Head-Fier
first post, hello to you all...

what do you think is better in overall terms?

the new ipod nano 8gb
nano-black.jpg

or

the sony nwz - S638F

thanks for your time

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Hands down - the Sony S638F. This has to be 1 of the best sounding players that's been produced in quite a while. I prefer my Sony A829 over my D2, and I prefer my D2 to the SQ of the ipod Touch. And, the Touch is the best sounding ipod that's been made. The best part of my rambling statement is that the new Sony S Series is said to sound better than my A829. All this boils down to the fact that this is the player to beat, and there's no challengers ATM - PERIOD!!!

Also, a matter of importance: Welcome to Head-Fi chicco, sorry about your wallet!!!

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 11
+1 for mickey. owned it and love it.

size wise, both nearly identical. unless u can notice 1mm differences..

SQ-wise, never tried iPod due to iTunes but Sony satisfied my ears more than cowon D2. Not to mention, it's drag and drop too.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I have been deciding between the Nano, Zune and Sony S638. I am coming from a sony MD walkman which lasted me for over 6 years and the nano simply doesn't cut it for me unless its rockbox'd for added sound enhancement. Today, I think I am gonna pull the trigger on the S638 with the assumption that it sounds better than the A-series. Its gonna be a bad day for my wallet, will report back later =)

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been deciding between the Nano, Zune and Sony S638. I am coming from a sony MD walkman which lasted me for over 6 years and the nano simply doesn't cut it for me unless its rockbox'd for added sound enhancement. Today, I think I am gonna pull the trigger on the S638 with the assumption that it sounds better than the A-series. Its gonna be a bad day for my wallet, will report back later =)

Congrats on a decision well made
biggrin.gif
. You may be broke after your shopping trip, but at least you'll have an excellent sounding DAP to keep you from looking at your wallet, or your bank acct.
L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 11
simple math regarding pure SQ without EQ:
sony s638 = new gen ipods > sony a829 > creative zen > cowon d2 > sansa fuze

For me the s638 is SQ-wise on the same level than nano 4G, but has a little emphasis on bass - but thats not negative! The only advantage to a new gen ipod are his EQ-features...

IMO
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Sony equal/worse than iPods, Fuze and D2 worse than iPods, Creative Zen being better than ANY of them?

WHATttttttttttt

Forgot to mention that I'm assuming the iPod is without lineout. If you meant iPod with lineout, then ignore my comment, because I have no experience with that.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony equal/worse than iPods, Fuze and D2 worse than iPods, Creative Zen being better than ANY of them?

WHATttttttttttt

Forgot to mention that I'm assuming the iPod is without lineout. If you meant iPod with lineout, then ignore my comment, because I have no experience with that.

And I wonder about your comment
regular_smile .gif

I suppose you have no exprerience with the new line of iPods (e.g. iPod Nano 4G, Touch 2G and Classic 7G). They sound on the same level (Just "Level", not sound signature!) as the Sony S638F, period!
The A829 is worse cause it's hissing like hell. Without hiss is would sound the same as the S638F.
The D2 is heavily overrated and sounds much worse from the hp-out than both sony, ipod and creative. D2 suffers bad from bass roll-off with my phones (Triple.Fi 10 Pro) :wink:
Well, to make it short: I could easily live with Sony S638F or Nano 4G/Touch 2G/Classic but the others suck with Tf10
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back